Bloody expensive ram upgrade

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
It started on Saturday, installed more RAM and the motherboard died, went to INverness to get another one, £160 plus a cheapo graphics card for testing £32 and a generic stick of ram to see if that would bring life back £44.

The new board died when setting up the BIOS, pick up another on monday £90.

To top it off I just had the wife on the phone, I've been done for speeding on Saturday going for the motherboard, remind me never to upgrade again :razz:

Ouch :eek: :thumbsdown:

yikes, bummer!

You shouldve spent Saturday cleaning your sensor! ;)

My story is bad too. Bought 2x512 sticks of fast RAM a few weeks ago and one didn't work. Tried it a few ways but could only get my own to work. Packed the 2 sticks to ship back, installed my own again and switched machine on. Next thing all I could smell was burning!!!

Switched off (had to pull the plug out!) and realised I hadn't installed the memory correctly. Melted the RAM socket and one of the RAM chips :(

Now I can't run my RAM in dual channel mode and am restricted to only using 2 of my 4 RAM sockets.

check, double check and double check the double check when working with sensitive equipment!!! So £40 quid down and now have a defective mobo.

I feel your pain......

PC pain is the worst. Get new machine?
Almost got one :p

Back up running just now with the second board, built in graphics, 512MB ram and slooooooooooowww. Had confirmation the original replacement is being replaced as RMA so should have a decent spec up again this weekend.

Got a couple of pics of you know who for you, PM me your email address again and I'll do them tonight :)

I must be a glutton for punishment cos i repair and build them for a living.

I must be a glutton for punishment cos i repair and build them for a living.

I do the same every night and most weekends..:(

Sad past time but it helps pay the bills.:nuts:

Then I still drive a HGV 60 hours a week.:wacky:

Just bought my self a shiney new Acer Laptop with 1Gb . As it has Vista pre-installed (shakes fist at M$) I thought I'd bump it up to 2Gb but the cheapskates have occupied the slots with 2x512Mb . So I'll have to buy a 1Gb stick and put 512Mb up on fleabay :(

My weekend was worse than that a few weeks ago 1st my sons pc decided to shut itself down and was totally dead did all the usual checks PSU etc nothing it was dead so i thought i would upgrade my daughters pc with the bits gfx card and ram put them in her machine and next minute sparks are flying and her machine died thats both mobo's dead now, So far its cost close to £800 to get them both back online.

:(

Just bought my self a shiney new Acer Laptop with 1Gb . As it has Vista pre-installed (shakes fist at M$) I thought I'd bump it up to 2Gb but the cheapskates have occupied the slots with 2x512Mb . So I'll have to buy a 1Gb stick and put 512Mb up on fleabay :(

Watch out the RAM doesn't need to be installed as a pair :(

Back