Bloomin' Nikon!!

Edit My Images
Yes
My lens started sticking, and only had it about 10 months, got it brand new in a D60 kit, with the free 2 year warranty that I registered for.

Well the lens started sticking, it was really difficult to zoom the lens, it wouldn't turn, and then it went alltogether, jammed stuck in place and wouldn't budge.

Sent it off for repair, to my nearest centre (100 miles away) cost me about £15 all in all to send it off, packaged and recorded.

Only to be given a quote of £130 to repair it!

So much for warranty!

Apparantly an internal lens malfuntion is not covered under warranty, its classed as damage.

So now I have to decline the repair, its cheaper to buy a new lens (not that I can afford that either) and on top of that I have to pay another £6 for nikon to post my lens back!

Gutted, now I have a camera I can't use, I'm £20 out of pocket before I start and I need to find another AF-S or other motorised lens and I'm going to be even further out of pocket, at least £90 to match my old lens.

Gutted and really dissapointed.

:crying:

Anyone got a AF-S lens for £23.12 (the exact money in my bank and wallet) :shake:

Really gutted because I'd just got my break in photography too, and now I'm going to have to cancel

That sounds, unusual. Was it actually Nikon you sent it to or an authorised agent?

Shame, it's a crapper when you have a major breakdown like this but you'd probably find that with all manufacturers - most warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Contact Nikon direct: plea and beg and they make take pity as a potential lifelong customer

My suggestion would be that the lens find itself in freefall off a suitabley high point, unto which it smashes into tiny pieces and your household contents insurance comes into play....

Yes it was all done through nikon, through their authorised repair centres, just spoke to an advisor on the phone and the gist of what she was saying is apparantly the lenses aren't really covered under warranty so even if it was a fault it won't really be covered.

Shame, it's a crapper when you have a major breakdown like this but you'd probably find that with all manufacturers - most warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.

My suggestion would be that the lens find itself in freefall off a suitabley high point, unto which it smashes into tiny pieces and your household contents insurance comes into play....

We don't have insurance, we can't afford it. :(

I'd ring Nikon but be polite and sweet. Play the girly routine and ask why it isn't covered. Crying helps :)

Is it a UK purchase or grey import?

Sound like a load of bull, if you haven't dropped it. A quick call to your local trading standards could be helpful.

Yes it was all done through nikon, through their authorised repair centres, just spoke to an advisor on the phone and the gist of what she was saying is apparantly the lenses aren't really covered under warranty so even if it was a fault it won't really be covered.

That makes no sense to me.

My 10 month old Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-S blew its focus motor and the lens was repaired without cost or question.

I'd ring Nikon but be polite and sweet. Play the girly routine and ask why it isn't covered. Crying helps :)

I did, Internal barrel malfunction is classed as DAMAGE, not manufacturer's fault.

So its my fault. :shake:

Don't know how that happened, in a years time its been in two places, one in my hands and two in a padded camera bag.

Is it a UK purchase or grey import?

UK, Through amazon.

Sound like a load of bull, if you haven't dropped it. A quick call to your local trading standards could be helpful.

That makes no sense to me.

My 10 month old Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-S blew its focus motor and the lens was repaired without cost or question.

Well the lens jammed, and when it went completely, as in wouldn't move at all, it made a little ping and a part came loose, aparantly thats a part of the internal lens barrerl, and that is classed as damage.

So from what I piece together is the lens sticking caused that piece to go ping, the lens sticking is a fault, but that piece coming loose is damage.

So the whole repair is classed as damage. :thumbsdown:

This is ridiculous. a fault isn't damage and should be covered by a warranty.

I think that you should write to them, be polite but firm and state the position and your view that a fault isn't damage. I think that you should also state your willingness to take this further if they don't agree.

I think they're just trying it on in the hope that you'll just go away quietly.

I'm confused - above you said 10 months, now a year.

If it's out of warranty that's a different matter entirely, unless you'd registered it for the second year. Which you say you did.

Try using one of the letters on here. They have never failed me yet with things that have failed after their warranty period.

This is ridiculous. a fault isn't damage and should be covered by a warranty.

I think that you should write to them, be polite but firm and state the position and your view that a fault isn't damage. I think that you should also state your willingness to take this further if they don't agree.

I think they're just trying it on in the hope that you'll just go away quietly.

Well the lens jammed, and when it went completely, as in wouldn't move at all, it made a little ping and a part came loose, aparantly thats a part of the internal lens barrerl, and that is classed as damage.

So from what I piece together is the lens sticking caused that piece to go ping, the lens sticking is a fault, but that piece coming loose is damage.

this is a nikon kit lens trait, if you search about it on this forum there is alot of people moaning about there 18-55mm's breaking after or less than a year. if it was me i wouldnt have paid for the postage and just take the chance to upgrade, even something as simple as the nikon 50mm f1.8 is less than £100 and if you never spent that £20 in the first place then it would be less than £80.

take the advantage of the offer and upgrade your glass(y)

I'm confused - above you said 10 months, now a year.

If it's out of warranty that's a different matter entirely, unless you'd registered it for the second year. Which you say you did.

No its a year through amazon who I bought it from, so thats expired, as per the guy who said I should take it back to the seller

Its in the first year of a two year warranty with nikon, so still covered by nikon

the lens plainly was not fit for purpose and if you chase them they will have to replace it!

No its a year through amazon who I bought it from, so thats expired, as per the guy who said I should take it back to the seller

Its in the first year of a two year warranty with nikon, so still covered by nikon

Just a quick note.. the retailers warranty is still through the manufacturer, so you do not get 3 years in total... just the 2 stated by Nikon.

Even so, it will still be in warranty providing you registered it (if needed)

Forget the warranty. If this lens is only 10 months old and you haven't dropped it or damaged it in any other way, then it is not fit for purpose and you have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act against the retailer (note, not Nikon).

There have been a number of other threads on here giving info in similar circumstances and you may find these useful. Suggest a quick search may help.

Ken

Thanks for everyone's help, think I will try one of those "sales of goods act" letters, would it be worth mentioning that I have noticed a lot of people with the same problem?

:plus1: For everyone's Help.

Sorry to hear your troubles. I'm willing to chip in a tenner towards a replacement :)

But - c'mon Nikon. You're better than this.

Did you fill in the extended warranty card?

Yes I did.

There's been some confusion here about warranty that I have explained so hope this helps.

The lens is 1 year old.

I bought it off amazon which have a one year warranty, so that is now expired.

When I bought it, 1 year ago, I registered with nikon for the two year extended warranty so I still have one year's manufacturar warranty with nikon.

I had a Tamron jam solid, less than a month from new. Intro 2020's service department warned me that they get a lot of cases where the camera has been carried, lens down, in a bag - put the bag down without due care and the front of the lens gets clobbered. Such damage isn't covered by warranty. I was confident that I wasn't responsible for the problem and they found a piece of plastic jamming the works, so the repair was free. Still annoying to have to pay for postage.

UK, Through amazon.

I really must type quicker - about 10 posts whilst I was typing!!!!

First - Sale of Goods Act is your route and that's back to the retailer.

Second - to pick up on your comments above - my background is the insurance industry - in deciding what caused damage there is a test applied, called proximate cause. The definition is:
The active efficient cause that sets in motion a train of events without the intervention of any cause started or working actively from a new and independent cause​

Phew - that was a mouthful - basically the proximate cause was the internal fault. It was that which caused the damage to occur without any other intervention.

Ken

Sorry to hear your troubles. I'm willing to chip in a tenner towards a replacement :)

But - c'mon Nikon. You're better than this.

Thank you, I really appreciate that:plus1:

Hopefully if this letter pulls through I won't need it, but I may have to call you up on that (y)

And I agree, my camera had to be sent off a couple of weeks after I bought it, it had an internal flash malfunction, and that transaction was easy and simple, and I had my camera back and repaired within a few weeks, so why all this fuss now I don't know!

I had a Tamron jam solid, less than a month from new. Intro 2020's service department warned me that they get a lot of cases where the camera has been carried, lens down, in a bag - put the bag down without due care and the front of the lens gets clobbered. Such damage isn't covered by warranty. I was confident that I wasn't responsible for the problem and they found a piece of plastic jamming the works, so the repair was free. Still annoying to have to pay for postage.

Never carry it glass down, always connector down, with a protector, or sideways in a padded section.

I really respect my camera, its only a D60 but would never hae got one normally, well out of my budget, everyone (literally) in my family chipped in and I got it for my 18th birthday, would never have afforded one otherwise, so it gets worshipped!
I really must type quicIker - about 10 posts whilst I was typing!!!!

First - Sale of Goods Act is your route and that's back to the retailer.

Second - to pick up on your comments above - my background is the insurance industry - in deciding what caused damage there is a test applied, called proximate cause. The definition is:
The active efficient cause that sets in motion a train of events without the intervention of any cause started or working actively from a new and independent cause​

Phew - that was a mouthful - basically the proximate cause was the internal fault. It was that which caused the damage to occur without any other intervention.

Ken

Thanks, will definetly go the sales of goods act way.

Hi there,
If you bought it from Amazon.co.uk then you actually have a good chance to get it sorted. I buy quite a lot of stuff from Amazon and their service and back up is superb no matter what Nikon say. Email Amazon and tell them your problem and you might even want to say that you have already tried Nikon directly and that this has not sorted out your problem. Then ask them what they suggest. My guess is that you might be nicely suprised. Amazon have really come through for me a couple of times and that is why I have no hesitation in buying more from them.
Definitely worth a try.
Good luck
Raphael

Sorry I have just re-read your post and notice that your warranty through the original seller, ie Amazon has expired - my suggestion might not work but it might still be worth giving it a try.

Hel, is the loan of a manual focus 90mm macro any interest to you?

Hel, is the loan of a manual focus 90mm macro any interest to you?

I would love to say yes but it isn't I'm afraid.

I mainly do equine photography which requires a varied zoom and a VERY quick apeture, when I'm at shows I can do up to 30 horses doing different speeds and differnet jumps and then they change the jumps for a different course just to be awkward LOL

I really appreciate it, but I can't make use of it.

:plus1::1st: Really appreciate the offer though, thank you. xxx

Yes I did.

There's been some confusion here about warranty that I have explained so hope this helps.

The lens is 1 year old.

I bought it off amazon which have a one year warranty, so that is now expired.

When I bought it, 1 year ago, I registered with nikon for the two year extended warranty so I still have one year's manufacturar warranty with nikon.

OK. Well I spoke with NIKON (discussing my own 85mm f1.4 at the moment - chipped it)...I explained your situ. He said it would absolutely be covered by warrenty UNLESS an engineer deemed the lens to have been damaged by the user, normally due to it being dropped, or the lens FORCED to operate when it should not be forced. "Forced to operate" could be ambiguous - if it was jammed, they could blame you for forcing it (rightly or wrongly)...

Anyway, I would ask them to clarify exactly why they think you damaged it. Good luck...

G.

Back