Blowing Bubbles on a Blackberry

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, not posted any images here for a week or so now (had some family over and been really busy). Anyway I've just caught up with my 365, and got this chap this evening.

This is the first time I've witnessed this behaviour (although I've seen it on other people's images here and on flickr) so thought I would share:

2011/365/2013 - Blowing Bubbles on a Blackberry by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

If anyone can help with the ID Id appreciate it. I've got it down as Helina obscurata.

Thanks!

Lovely bubble blower Tim. :)

Nice shot Tim.

Could it be a Saracophaga Carnaria (flesh fly) ?

Nice shot Tim.

Could it be a Saracophaga Carnaria (flesh fly) ?

I don't think so, I didn't notice the banding that you see on flesh flies (although I am no expert and you may well be right). I always imagine flesh flies have a slightly flatter body too, and this one seemed more rounded if that makes sense. Also, this was quite a small fly and I think the body was a bit darker than shown here.

I have no idea though, I've seen so many different species that could be candidates whilst trying to track this one down :bonk:

A nice man on Flickr did tell me this was likely to be female though. Any idea how to sex these things??

Thanks both!

Last edited:
I know what you mean, they all look very similar.
Not sure how you would tell the sex though.
Some one will probably be along soon to enlighten us.

I think there is only one word for a photo like this and that is an enormous "WOW"!

Back