Blue Damselflys mating

Hi, crit first, not keen on the fern in the FG and the lower damselfly is OOF, as are the wings on the upper one. I don't know how much time you had, and I note 1/500 @ ISO 1600 so they may have been flitting about.

I don't have the patience for this kind of photography so well done for catching it, and done really nice blues.

Cheers.

Hi, crit first, not keen on the fern in the FG and the lower damselfly is OOF, as are the wings on the upper one. I don't know how much time you had, and I note 1/500 @ ISO 1600 so they may have been flitting about.

I don't have the patience for this kind of photography so well done for catching it, and done really nice blues.

Cheers.

I agree with you about the fern, at the time I was looking for red squirrels and quickly changed settings as much as I could and got a snap shot of these and it came out better than I thought, Joe

This kind of photography is very tricky for DOF and this Blue Azure species of Damselfly is particularly small as well.

The fern is a little bit intrusive but at least it informs about the environment the subject is in - Something I am critical of in some macro shots.

So, I say don't be discouraged and just keep shooting.

I forgot to ask you, Joe.... Which lens did you use for this shot please?

Ooops! Sorry, it's written above the photo.... Nikon 300mm. Apologies.

Last edited:
This kind of photography is very tricky for DOF and this Blue Azure species of Damselfly is particularly small as well.

The fern is a little bit intrusive but at least it informs about the environment the subject is in - Something I am critical of in some macro shots.

So, I say don't be discouraged and just keep shooting.

Thank you for your comment :) I find it hard to get a good DOF on my 300mm f/4 as it is not a macro lens. But the Converter helps get the insects in the frame

Back