Blue tailed damselfly and...?

Name
Emma
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to leave work a little earlier than normal today and take a wander around a local lake in the early evening sunshine. I was really happy to capture these, although the second isn't as sharp as I'd like, as a breeze kicked up very annoyingly! The bronze on its body was gorgeous in the sunlight, but as usual I'm not sure what it is.

blue tailed damselfly by Em Jay, on Flickr

black and bronze by Em Jay, on Flickr

Mayfly :)

2 lovely shots Emma, The 1st shot you could lose a tad on the left side and its a shame you cut the top off the grass, its always nice to get the whole environment in shot.
2nd shot is another superb shot, again lose some on the right to the annoying diagonal grass to lose it.
Other than that 2 great shots and the Mayfly dont look that soft to my eyes.

2 lovely shots Emma, The 1st shot you could lose a tad on the left side and its a shame you cut the top off the grass, its always nice to get the whole environment in shot.
2nd shot is another superb shot, again lose some on the right to the annoying diagonal grass to lose it.
Other than that 2 great shots and the Mayfly dont look that soft to my eyes.
Thanks Graham - great feedback. The damselfly shot did have the top of the grass in (just!) but I usually try to stick to traditional sized crops in case I want to print and I was worried it was a bit lost in the frame. I've gone back and had a play with the crop - I don't know if either of these look better? The portrait feels a bit tight to me.

damselfly wider small.jpg

damselfly portrait small.jpg

Ouch, that 2nd shot is a bit too tight, give a bit more to both sides and I think your done.

Thanks Graham - great feedback. The damselfly shot did have the top of the grass in (just!) but I usually try to stick to traditional sized crops in case I want to print and I was worried it was a bit lost in the frame. I've gone back and had a play with the crop - I don't know if either of these look better? The portrait feels a bit tight to me.

View attachment 66530

View attachment 66532
Heres my crack at a edit on your Damselfly and a tweak here and there with PP
How does that look Emma ?
Emja photo - Damselfly.JPG

Heres my crack at a edit on your Damselfly and a tweak here and there with PP
How does that look Emma ?
View attachment 66556
Thanks for taking the time to edit, Graham. The crop looks good - maybe I need to think about moving away from conventional crops if I'm not planning to print - but I don't think I mind the extra room too much in this shot. I completely agree about the top of the grass though - I'll watch that in the future! The damselfly looks vibrant and stands out nicely in your edit but I'm so sure about the more defined background with the pp tweaks - what adjustments did you make?

Last edited:
two well captured shots there, and like the edited shots better

Thanks for taking the time to edit, Graham. The crop looks good - maybe I need to think about moving away from conventional crops if I'm not planning to print - but I don't think I mind the extra room too much in this shot. I completely agree about the top of the grass though - I'll watch that in the future! The damselfly looks vibrant and stands out nicely in your edit but I'm so sure about the more defined background with the pp tweaks - what adjustments did you make?
Hi Emma,
Glad you like my edit, imo whatever you want to do, frame or sell, always try to get all the picture, ie the grass, feet/tails/wing tips or whatever in shot, maybe some bits could be cloned / faded out, see where I'm going.
OK in lightroom, I done this.
LR Adjustments.PNG LR adjustments 2.PNG LR Adjustments 3.PNG
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back