Blue Tits

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone!

We had some great sunshine yesterday and I managed to take the first bird shots that I am happy with. I took these shots in the garden, the birds were in a budlia and on a yucca.

Grateful for your critical input.

Many thanks

Ian

BlueTit6.jpg

BlueTit2.jpg

BlueTit7.jpg

Wish I could get birds in to my garden! Like the shots but they seem a little soft though I'm no expert. Like the DOF a lot .
I have played with the 2nd one a little(very limited knowledge of editing) but won't post it unless you want to see it as don't want to offend :)

Shot #1 Nice shot of the bird but the white oof hoop in the background distracts from the focal point.
Shot #2 Same problem with the background and the subject chose that moment to blink.
Shot #3 Background improved but now a shadow has fallen acsoss the bird.

You wouldn't think it from what I've said above but they are nice shots imo. I'm just pointing out where you could have improved them, if the bird had cooperated and surroundings had been different that is. :D

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for your comments.
They were crops from larger shots and I was hand holding the camera (halfway up a hill) so perhaps that is why they are not as sharp as you might expect?

I would not be offended at all if you want to edit any, fire away!

Oh, and the last one was a mistake, it was meant to be one on a yucca, ill see if I can find the right picture.

Cheers

Andy,
Thanks!

I agree about the background being a distraction and the third picture being in shadow, it was not meant to be there.

Here is the other picture I meant to post. Hmmm, distracting background again!
:bonk:

BlueTit.jpg

I really like the last on,don't find the background distracting,think it adds to the picture as shows the bird is in natural surroundings

Heres the one I mentioned earlier .I cropped it a tad more to get rid of the 2 bits of branches at the top

BlueTit2a.jpg

Nice shots mate.

I'm relatively new to this shooting birds caper and it's probably one of the most frustrating things I have tried to do. Worst thing about it is having the balls to post your pics on here for fear of them getting torn to shreds but that's only because of the quality of most of the other pics on here :shake:

Last edited:
They're not torn to shreds, it's call helpful advice. :D

Of course it is but when you first start out it sometimes doesn't feel like it :crying: You need a tough old hide in this game :cool:

Thanks Fergie,

I thought that would be the case too when I first posted, but they are nice folk on here, and what better way is there to learn?
Good luck with your pictures! (y)

I think you have managed to get some very nice shots there. Personally I don't find the backgrounds that distracting. (I am shooting against a bird feeder!).
Do you have any editing software? Personally, I would select the birds, darken, boost the contrast then slightly apply some unsharp-mask.
I might then blur out some more of the background (although you have managed to get quite good separation as it is).
Blondie's edit appears to make the bird look quite grumpy!

Hi ColdPenguin,
Thanks for the tips.
I use Adobe elements 7, is that adequate?
I have only ever cropped or lightened/ adjusted contrast for a whole picture. I have not selected different parts, would that be difficult to do?
I will look for a tutorial online later on when I get chance.
Thanks

A good little set Ian and all exposed well, my fave would be the last one on the tree.

Thanks Rich,
That one was a lot closer (only required a small crop) so the quality is a bit better.

I think all may have benefitted from -0.3 exposure compensation, some added contrast and a little sharpening.

Bird is nicely posed in all and well caught, Ian.

Back