Blue Tits

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Three shots taken on a day when the lighting wasn't great, so I was down to ISO 800 and still not getting above 1/200sec.

Any tips for improvement would be most welcome though?

Click and copy the "Linked Image" box and you will get the full size image in your post, like this. (y)

You copied and pasted the "Linked Thumbnail" box above it.

Generally they are slightly over exposed, but not much.

The composition is good.

Unless the lighting is tricky I tend to rely on spot metering the bird, as that is what I want exposed correctly.

Light is key, I tend to aim for 1/500 sec and f7.1 as an ideal starting point, however I have no qualms about using ISO 3200, and running the image through noiseware.

What is your set up, are you using a tripod?

Thanks for that tip Martyn, I couldn't remember how to upload photos as I hadn't done it for a while.

You can't see it in the photos but there was a bit of snow around that day so I did overexpose by a stop to compensate as I don't have spot metering on my 20D.

I did use a tripod but despite shooting at f5.6 I wasn't getting great shutter speeds even at ISO800. Wasn't sure about the 20D's capabilities at high ISO levels?

Thanks for that tip Martyn, I couldn't remember how to upload photos as I hadn't done it for a while.

You can't see it in the photos but there was a bit of snow around that day so I did overexpose by a stop to compensate as I don't have spot metering on my 20D.

I did use a tripod but despite shooting at f5.6 I wasn't getting great shutter speeds even at ISO800. Wasn't sure about the 20D's capabilities at high ISO levels?

I will not go below 1/250 sec for static / perched birds as the little devils move.

Try the 20D at higher ISO, run through something free like Noiseware Community Edition and see what it does LINK, free download if you are using a PC.

Back