Critique Bluebells at Roseberry Topping.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
On Monday night I drove down to Roseberry Topping, I've been itching to get there for a while now and knowing the bluebells were out just spurred me on to get my backside in gear and get down there. The weather was gorgeous and there was a few wispy clouds to save me from a blank blue sky!

Both taken on Canon 6D with 17 - 40L
Lee 0.6 hard grad
Lee 0.3 soft grad

Thanks for looking!

Nick

Good image, lovely light and processing and technical stuff as usual. However I've seen so many from here and of blue bells it feels a bit like I've seen this before.

I agree everyone including myself goes mad for bluebells when they're out. I really wanted to get them last year but I never got the chance due to work and other commitments so even though its a little bit cliché I was determined to get one this year. Cheers for the comments about processing etc I'm trying to keep things as minimal as possible when processing lately.

Love the colours to these. Couple of fine shots. Well done.

Cheers Neil appreciate it :) The colours are great, they'll not be around much longer so had to get them while I could lol

I agree everyone including myself goes mad for bluebells when they're out. I really wanted to get them last year but I never got the chance due to work and other commitments so even though its a little bit cliché I was determined to get one this year. Cheers for the comments about processing etc I'm trying to keep things as minimal as possible when processing lately.

I've still not taken one blue bells shots, as good as the sunrise in the woods ones are, they aren't my thing and all look the same and really too many winners from this hill. This spot appeals for its open space, the processing and vibrance is excellent, sometimes (usually actually) less is more and if your lighting and conditions are good, there is not much you need to do in PP for landscapes. It's all about light...

Two "Excellent" images Nick, I like them both very much.(y)

George.

Whilst the shots are a little clichéd they are still very well done. The light it excellent and you've got the composition spot on.

Last edited:
I think these are cracking images and I can't say that I've ever seen Bluebells out in the open like this. Nice to see them in a good landscape too!

Two "Excellent" images Nick, I like them both very much.(y)

George.

Superb work, the Landscape style shot gets my vote the best :)

Joe

I like the portrait one, great depth. It's such a fab location, whether it's overdone or not!

Great shots, enjoyed looking at your photo stream, some really nice shots!

two smashing shots Nick, lovely colour and light

Whilst the shots are a little clichéd they are still very well done. The light it excellent and you've got the composition spot on.

Number two is excellent, well captured!

Thanks everyone :) Really appreciate the comments, thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Nick, it seems to me that the view makes a good landscape with or without the bluebells. I expected to see a much greater emphasis on the flowers because, after all, that was the reason for making the visit. Did you take any shots to cover this aspect?

The place name doesn't ring any bells for me Nick, so I certainly don't feel like I've seen them before :)
The fact that they're on an open hillside instead of in woods makes them a refreshing change.
For me the landscape orientation takes the first prize....just gives a greater sense of scale.

I thought I had said that!

Yes you did. I've just got this thing about 'cliche' photos; one man's cliche photo is another man's first time photo. Fed up of hearing judges say 'Oh that's been done to death'. Well maybe it has but probably not by the newbie submitting it in a comp.

Great shots Nick. The strength of colours with the rapeseed, sky and foliage all add to the lovely field of bluebells. I prefer the landscape purely as it feels more balanced to the lines of the Topping.

Loving the woodland shots too.

Back