Critique Bluebells on Sunday

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this one whilst out on a family walk yesterday. Boring day at work so have edited in Aviary (never used this before and my only option whilst at work) to add the focus/blur and the white border.

IMG_0606 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

This is closer to the shot I had 'in mind' with the fake blur added, and in hindsight should of used the 50mm f1.8 (at around f2.2?) rather than the 17-40 (at f5.6 for this one originally). I want to recreate this look/feel for a client shoot next week with their daughters sat on the log, so this is just a test shot and a bit of a play about with the processing.

This the same shot which has not been meddled with bar usual PP.

IMG_0606 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Any thoughts/comments/opinions would be appreciated. I would be particularly interested which version people prefer.

Last edited:
Ian
Glad you mentioned the log there, as it looks a little as though the young fella is attempting to hover.
I like the image, but could you perhaps take a step backwards to get more of his frame in, along with a section of the log at both ends?
The DoF works to isolate the subject well against the background.
Do you have the opportunity it's to pop a bit of flip flash in, especially if the subject looks towards you?
Good luck with your shoot next week

Thanks for the comments Paul, I see what you mean about the hovering too. I used flash with these, but I think I need to up the exposure a bit in PP (laptop screen isn't great, and I'm finding images are coming out a little dark). This is a wider shot. Does this work better, do you think? Excuse the wonky trees, this one and others need straightening!

IMG_0579 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
The third shot is the keeper for me!
If you can replicate that for your next shoot, I'm sure they would be delighted.
My only minor personal actions would be to:
1. look at placing this young fellas head in the top RH 'rule of thirds' position, to see if it adds anything to the composition without him being too central.
2. Maintain that great exposure, maybe open the aperture to reduce the DoF further.

Thanks again for the comments. There's a shot there I'm sure, just need to work on the composition or crop. Hoping the weather is ok on Saturday and the bluebells are still in flower. Think I'll hedge my bets and take some with both lenses!

Back