Bluetooth Headphones

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a set of bluetooth headphones which I mainly use to watch Netflix/Prime on my iMac. The thing is, I find that the sound is, more often than not, is out of sync with the picture which is rather annoying.

So, my question is, is this down to them being a cheap set?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...51031&sprefix=bluetooth+headph,aps,136&sr=8-2

If so, can anyone recommend anything better? Can't afford £250 for Bose but anything up to £100?

Thanks

There 'should' be a setting somewhere in your set-up to allow adjustment for such delays Marc. Time to dig out the manual maybe? ;)

There 'should' be a setting somewhere in your set-up to allow adjustment for such delays Marc. Time to dig out the manual maybe? ;)

Sadly not Trevor, the manual is very basic

IMG_1083.JPG

It could be the headphones, they don’t give me a huge amount of confidence in the component and build quality, but don’t assume it yet!

How old is your mac and what model is it?

I meant the sound settings on your computer. :)

Ah, you said manual, I've never seen a manual for a Mac but the sound settings don't appear to help.

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 16.48.14.png

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 16.48.41.png

It could be the headphones, they don’t give me a huge amount of confidence in the component and build quality, but don’t assume it yet!

How old is your mac and what model is it?

It's a year old.

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 16.50.30.png

Ah, that doesn't help at all does it? :facepalm:

Sorry Marc, I was an electronics and computer engineer when I was working, but when it comes to anything made by Apple I just want to :headbang:

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable of all things Apple will be along to help soon . . .

Last edited:
There might be some more synch settings in the media player software.

Looking at the 1* Amazon reviews, none of them seem to mention an excessive delay so I would hazard a guess at it being a user error of some sort - hope you get it sorted.

There might be some more synch settings in the media player software.

Not sure what you mean by media player software. I'm not playing any media outside of Netflix.

Looking at the 1* Amazon reviews, none of them seem to mention an excessive delay so I would hazard a guess at it being a user error of some sort - hope you get it sorted.

Perhaps but it could be that most people use them for audio?

Might depend on what audio codec your headphones and Mac support - if the headphones only do bog standard SBC, you may be seeing high latency, which can cause sync problems:

Thanks but in your link, it shows:

bluetooth1.jpg

Mine just shows:

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 17.26.18.png

Ah yes I had this exact issue with some nice B+O headphones. I sorted it though, but I can't remember how, now. Soz. But what I have discovered, is that even using them wired in, there can be a slight annoying delay in audio. Even through the Mac's speakers. So it's probably a fault either with the recording or the software you use to play media. I get this now and then with TV stuff too.

Thanks but in your link, it shows:

View attachment 285051

Mine just shows:

View attachment 285052
I don't know if that's what you get if only standard Bluetooth is supported, or whether it's a Mac OS version thing. But I suspect that £20 headphones may only support SBC. You might want to look out for some headphones that do support AAC (which is the native high quality Mac codec), and maybe aptX and aptX low latency (the latter is designed specifically for this sort of situation). The Sennheiser 350BT supports AAC, aptX and aptX LL, as well as SBC, for under £100:

The 450BT is another £50 and adds active noise cancelling. With either of these, you'd have the option of trying the native AAC codec to see if it solves the issue. If it doesn't, you could try aptX LL.

Even if the aptX codecs aren't supported natively by the OS, you should be able to use them with a dongle like this:

(I use this on a PC and Raspberry Pi for aptX).

Last edited:
I don't know if that's what you get if only standard Bluetooth is supported, or whether it's a Mac OS version thing. But I suspect that £20 headphones may only support SBC. You might want to look out for some headphones that do support AAC (which is the native high quality Mac codec), and maybe aptX and aptX low latency (the latter is designed specifically for this sort of situation). The Sennheiser 350BT supports AAC, aptX and aptX LL, as well as SBC, for under £100:

The 450BT is another £50 and adds active noise cancelling. With either of these, you'd have the option of trying the native AAC codec to see if it solves the issue. If it doesn't, you could try aptX LL.

Even if the aptX codecs aren't supported natively by the OS, you should be able to use them with a dongle like this:

(I use this on a PC and Raspberry Pi for aptX).

Thanks for that. Not to bothered about noise cancelling, they would only get used at home or, hopefully, in a hotel room.

This might be worth a try.

This might be worth a try.

Thanks but I should've made it clearer that it isn't only Netflix that it occurs with, it's the same with youtube videos as well.

It's looking likely that aptX might be the solution.

I don’t think Aptx main value is in latency improvement but in distance and resolution. And I’ve seen recently a review in some aptx speakers that had a terrible delay. Do you have any other devices you can temporarily pair your headphones to and watch Netflix to see if the issue travels with them?

I have some sennheiser 350BTs. I'll try and remember to check whether YouTube is out of sync tomorrow. I've not noticed anything so far. They were about £70 odd and I think they're pretty good for the money.

Could it be a browser plugin issue perhaps?

Not all you tubers are good at audio and video sync either. Which doesn't help. :rolleyes:

I don’t think Aptx main value is in latency improvement but in distance and resolution. And I’ve seen recently a review in some aptx speakers that had a terrible delay. Do you have any other devices you can temporarily pair your headphones to and watch Netflix to see if the issue travels with them?

It's the aptX LL that I was referring to.

I've used them with my phone but, tbh, the screen is too small fro me to tell.

Tried youtube. In sync with mac speakers. Out of sync with the BT headphones. That's using firefox.

I found this thread which suggests it's basically Catalina being crap that is the cause of this. There is a work around to force using a different bluetooth driver to fix it.

Thanks for the link. The workaround looks useful but my headphones don't use aptX. I held Option and clicked on bluetooth as it suggested

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 09.44.22.jpg

I don’t think Aptx main value is in latency improvement but in distance and resolution. And I’ve seen recently a review in some aptx speakers that had a terrible delay
Isn't APT-X about sound quality rather than other issues? IE; if there is a delay cos of a software issues, then that's nothing that APT-X can solve anyway.

Not sure what you mean by media player software. I'm not playing any media outside of Netflix.

Sorry, missed the net flicks bit.

the sound is, more often than not, is out of sync with the picture which is rather annoying.

More often than not or always? We occasionally get noticeable lag when watching iPlayer or other catch-up on Freeview but restarting the show usually re-synchs. A bit of a PITA but not too bad.

Sorry, missed the net flicks bit.

More often than not or always? We occasionally get noticeable lag when watching iPlayer or other catch-up on Freeview but restarting the show usually re-synchs. A bit of a PITA but not too bad.

I'd say most.

And only when you use those 'phones on any device?

I believe that with bluetooth data transfer there is no mechanism keeping the audio and video data streams synchronised. They both start playing at the same time, but if one gets delayed for whatever reason then that's it. It's a pretty crappy transfer protocol which is focused towards convenience and low power usage, rather than quality and reliability.
I use bluetooth headphones for music, but never for video.

Cheap bluetooth earbuds can be particularly annoying. The left earbid connects tot he phone, and then the right earbud connects to the left so you can sometimes get situations when left and right ears are out of sync with each other. o_O

Last edited:
I believe that with bluetooth data transfer there is no mechanism keeping the audio and video data streams synchronised. They both start playing at the same time, but if one gets delayed for whatever reason then that's it. It's a pretty crappy transfer protocol which is focused towards convenience and low power usage, rather than quality and reliability.
I use bluetooth headphones for music, but never for video,

Mine seem to start off out of sync.

Mine seem to start off out of sync.
Do they have a jack output? Some bluetooth headphones do so you can use them wired if the batteries go flat. If so then that would be your best option I'm afraid.

Tried youtube. In sync with mac speakers. Out of sync with the BT headphones. That's using firefox.

I found this thread which suggests it's basically Catalina being crap that is the cause of this. There is a work around to force using a different bluetooth driver to fix it.

Does the workaround (switching to aptX) work for you with the 350BTs, or are you not on Catalina? Although aptX is mostly about better audio quality, it will probably still have better latency than SBC (and perhaps AAC).

aptX LL is different, and designed for low latency, but may not be supported by the OS. The Avantree dongle I linked to above implements aptX and aptX LL in hardware (the OS just sees it as a USB soundcard). Using this with some older Sennheiser headphones that only support regular aptX, I find that watching Youtube is fine.

Do they have a jack output? Some bluetooth headphones do so you can use them wired if the batteries go flat. If so then that would be your best option I'm afraid.
Some can also use the USB cable for audio. Incidentally, I just noticed that the 350BTs don't have a 3.5mm jack (the 450BTs do), but I don't know if they do audio over USB.

I use Sony WH-CH500 with my phone and they don't have any sync issues and the battery lasts for ages. Reasonable price as well.

But if it's not the headphones, could it be worth trying a 3rd party Bluetooth dongle to see if that solves it?

I had a similar issue with my previous car, lip sync was slightly out when watching films on my phone but streaming audio through the car's speakers - very annoying. Same phone but different car and it's now perfect, so I assume it was the car's Bluetooth hardware.

Yes, they do but I would rather use them over bluetooth as I really hate excess cables.

Looks like a return to Amazon for those and an alternative purchase. :(

I've had them about 9 months, probably a bit late for that.

The headphones support bluetooth 5 but my imac is only bluetooth 4. I wonder if the issue occurs with both supporting bluetooth 5 and the same catalina?

I don't use the headphones much and generally used them for music or podcasts so it's never been an issue.

The headphones support bluetooth 5 but my imac is only bluetooth 4. I wonder if the issue occurs with both supporting bluetooth 5 and the same catalina?

I don't use the headphones much and generally used them for music or podcasts so it's never been an issue.

How do you know which bluetooth your mac supports?

How do you know which bluetooth your mac supports?

I went into the 'about this about this mac' and the system report. The bluetooth is listed as Bluetooth Core Spec: 4.0 (0x6) It's a broadcom chip.

I think bluetooth 5.0 is only quite recent ie last 3 years which is very recent in my book :)

I went into the 'about this about this mac' and the system report. The bluetooth is listed as Bluetooth Core Spec: 4.0 (0x6) It's a broadcom chip.

I think bluetooth 5.0 is only quite recent ie last 3 years which is very recent in my book :)

Mine says 0x8 but it doesn't give a Bluetooth number

Back