Bluetooth on Desktop

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
So got me a nice set of bluetooth headphones for xmas and now i want to listen to them through the desktop pc
How is the best way to add bluetooth to a desktop?
USB dongle or is an internal card available?
I don't have a sound card if that makes any difference?
Thanks

I'm using a dongle with no problems. If there's interference from some other piece of kit, a USB cable to move it away from the offending gadget might help. I bought an Avantree Leaf, mainly because it's compatible with the AptX codec that my headphones also support. If yours don't, a generic (and much cheaper) dongle may do just as well. The Leaf also works in a different way to most Bluetooth dongles - it's more limited in that it's designed purely for audio use, but because the PC sees it as a USB audio device rather than a Bluetooth adapter, you're unlikely to get any driver issues and can casually move it from one device to another while retaining pairing to your headphones (I use it on two different PCs and a Raspberry Pi).

I'm using a dongle with no problems. If there's interference from some other piece of kit, a USB cable to move it away from the offending gadget might help. I bought an Avantree Leaf, mainly because it's compatible with the AptX codec that my headphones also support. If yours don't, a generic (and much cheaper) dongle may do just as well. The Leaf also works in a different way to most Bluetooth dongles - it's more limited in that it's designed purely for audio use, but because the PC sees it as a USB audio device rather than a Bluetooth adapter, you're unlikely to get any driver issues and can casually move it from one device to another while retaining pairing to your headphones (I use it on two different PCs and a Raspberry Pi).

Thanks for that I will have another play

How can you tell if your headphones support APTX ? Mine are Bose ?

If the headphones support aptX, it will probably be highlighted as a feature in the spec. I think Neil is right, and Bose headphones like the QC35 support AAC rather than aptX (as well as the standard SBC mode that works with any Bluetooth audio gadget). But AAC support is becoming more common, since Apple chose this rather than aptX for the iPhone. Some USB dongles are advertised as having AAC support.

Back