BMCRC Brands Hatch Indy - 5/10/13

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I'm never keen on shooting the Indy Circuit because of the fences. I've come to the conclusion that I really need my teleconverter and the lens wide open to get the best shots. However, at some point I must have forgotten this and zoomed out. On the camera's screen, the pictures look fine. When I got home and saw them full size for the first time, my heart sank as I have quite a few pics that have some really nasty fence-induced softening.

Note to self - I must get myself up to standard so I can get accredited next year, before the fences break me!

1. I'm on the fence. I think I like it, but I don't know whether the other bike adds to the image or detracts from it. It's sufficiently out of focus, but I'd like to know what you all think.

Peter Thornton by rclenshaw, on Flickr

2. Does this work? Again, would appreciate opinions.

Lee Hardy and Charlotte Morton by rclenshaw, on Flickr

Stuart Young, Colin Clune and Simon Gates by rclenshaw, on Flickr

Luke Harris and Adam Cross by rclenshaw, on Flickr

Mark Taylor by rclenshaw, on Flickr

Never shot motor sports myself, so not sure if my two penny worth will be valid or worthwhile to you...... But here goes :)

No1 think the shadow of the bike behind (top right) is a little distracting. I think if the "other" bike, the one that's blurred was more in shot it would have added to the image more by giving the sense of a race as opposed to a practice lap or time trial.... Think you've nailed the focussing of the main bike though and captured great detail, like the rider's face

No2 think that both together like this confuses the image. Maybe would have worked better if bikes were a different colour and maybe at a slightly different angle.

I like no 3,4&5.

Hope this is of some help! :)

No1 think the shadow of the bike behind (top right) is a little distracting. I think if the "other" bike, the one that's blurred was more in shot it would have added to the image more by giving the sense of a race as opposed to a practice lap or time trial.... Think you've nailed the focussing of the main bike though and captured great detail, like the rider's face

No2 think that both together like this confuses the image. Maybe would have worked better if bikes were a different colour and maybe at a slightly different angle.

I like no 3,4&5.

Thanks! I put 1 and 2 in, not because they were the best shots I took, but because I wanted to get opinions on them. Luckily with 1, I have a very similar shot of the same bike but without other bikes around it. Number 2 was a bit of a fluke and I couldn't decide whether it was good or bad. Normally if I'm unsure I'll err on the side of not using it, but I couldn't resist throwing it out there to see what others thought.

although all good shots they all look a little under exposed to me? maybe its my monitor..

however... I love number 1 - new angle and nice effect. If you could bring out the shadows it would be spot on in my humble opinion - really like that one.

however... I love number 1 - new angle and nice effect. If you could bring out the shadows it would be spot on in my humble opinion - really like that one.
I'll have a play with it later. I don't tend to do much in the way of post processing, so maybe there's room for improvement.

Agree about 1 would work better with the second bike in frame 3 would be my pick a nice group shot I take it this was Saturday as I was there Fri/Sat was a gloomy one Sat I packed in with 4 races to go just to dark

Agree about 1 would work better with the second bike in frame 3 would be my pick a nice group shot I take it this was Saturday as I was there Fri/Sat was a gloomy one Sat I packed in with 4 races to go just to dark

Yup, this was Saturday. It was rather overcast and gloomy all day.

Back