BMW x1 owners

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm on the verge of splashing out on a new x1, and would really appreciate some "real world" feedback. Anybody own one, your views would be most welcome ?

We had a petrol XDrive MSport auto 2.0 bought new in 2016, now swapped for an X3 as we needed a heavier vehicle for towing. We liked it, Good performance, my only criticism was the slightly harsh ride and levels of road noise.

I had one as a courtesy car and it was a FWD model and I found the handling and grip very poor with a lot of understeer. However, my 3 series was X-Drive and the grip was fantastic, so I'd probably recommend going for the AWD version. BMW seems to have a good balance of providing engines with decent power yet if you drive them frugally they will return excellent mpg.

Mind to check if whatever you buy is part of the big recall currently in effect.

We had a petrol 1 series (isn't the X1 based on that?), only issue we had was my wife didnt use it enough (or so we were told) and it tended to clog up its sensors from time to time.
the 2.0 diesel recall is for the ERG valve and each car is being fitted with its own specific replacement valve apparently, its not a generic valve they order in and replace, my guess is that it is generic but they are recording which one (serial number?) goes where, I should have thought a new car would already have had the valve replaced, otherwise it might be a long wait.
The 3 series I have just bought had its valve done just before I picked it up, the 4 series I was also looking at was on a wait list and the dealer had no idea how long it was going to take so they weren't even allowing test drives.
Our 1 series M sport had run flats, as does my current 3 series M sport, both on 18's and the 3 rides much better than the 1 did. The 3 diesel is very good on fuel/performance, the petrol 1 less so, felt a bit breathless tbh.

Current X1 is front wheel drive or AWD and has a transverse engine. It shares a platform with Mini Countryman. The auto uses an Aisin gearbox unlike many other BMW which use ZF

Last edited:
Back