BMX help please

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Right then,

I asked for advice before doing this.

Now I've done it and I'm not particularly happy with the results.

So... what do I need to do to improve on them?

3497293987_a965cdcae3_o.jpg

3498066064_7a2ed73f07_o.jpg

3498054212_d0cf8dc3ac_o.jpg

3498095988_ce9a91d04a_o.jpg

From previous shots I have seen like this, I beleive you have to expose for the sky and use a fill flassh for your subject.

Your also Hand-held... Tripod will help the background...

From previous shots I have seen like this, I beleive you have to expose for the sky and use a fill flassh for your subject.

Your also Hand-held... Tripod will help the background...

Thanks. Hadn't considered a flash and no-one has suggested before - good point.

Also hadn't considered a tripod.

Oooooh, so much to learn!!!!

i will try again though

Or you could keep the sun behind you and allow the sun to light your subect up and have a nice exposed backgroud?

Or you could keep the sun behind you and allow the sun to light your subect up and have a nice exposed backgroud?

Unfortunately it was one of those bright cloudy skies.

I will think a bit more carefully about my positioning next time.

Interesting suggestion re the flash.

Thanks very much for your input btw. You were up late!

These kind of shots allways look better if you can get the flash off the camera. You can then underexpose for the subject, giving your sky a nice look, letting the flash highlight the rider. Have a look around my flickr, i do mostly BMX stuff, if you look through you can see my lighting notes on each picture. Hope this helps(y)

These kind of shots allways look better if you can get the flash off the camera. You can then underexpose for the subject, giving your sky a nice look, letting the flash highlight the rider. Have a look around my flickr, i do mostly BMX stuff, if you look through you can see my lighting notes on each picture. Hope this helps(y)

Thanks for your input.

I see what you mean re the flash - you've got the sky nice and blue in your shots.

I'll try bit I may be hampered as I only have an old Cullman and will need to try and use off camera with a slave unit, triggering with the on-board flash.

When I've experimented before I've always ended up with under-exposed subjects.

Try try and try again I suppose.

Thanks for your input.

I see what you mean re the flash - you've got the sky nice and blue in your shots.

I'll try bit I may be hampered as I only have an old Cullman and will need to try and use off camera with a slave unit, triggering with the on-board flash.

When I've experimented before I've always ended up with under-exposed subjects.

Try try and try again I suppose.

It took me quite a while to get into the Strobist thing, but once you get it, it stays. You need to meter the sky, then back it off a stop or two, take a few test shots then see which comes out better. Once you have this, just play around with the shutter speed to get better results as you like them(y) Like you say, keep trying, it is a bit hit and miss to start, but you'll get there. Show us the pics when you do(y)

It took me quite a while to get into the Strobist thing, but once you get it, it stays. You need to meter the sky, then back it off a stop or two, take a few test shots then see which comes out better. Once you have this, just play around with the shutter speed to get better results as you like them(y) Like you say, keep trying, it is a bit hit and miss to start, but you'll get there. Show us the pics when you do(y)

then theres finding the correct flash settings for the distance etc. learning is fun. :nuts:

Oh no.... it's all too difficult!

Like i said, once you get the basics, you can then improve on them. If you can afford it, some cheap radio triggers can help. I have the CTR-301's, and am yet to have an issue with them. These will help you with more creative lighting, which will in-turn make your pic's more interesting. Stick with, it is easy to give up, but it is so much more gratifying when you get the result you are looking for(y)

Back