weekly BobC 45 photo52 2012 - Week 4 SWEET Added

Name
That'll be Bob then
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to give this one a go and try and stick to the discipline of meeting the deadlines. Assume the first deadline is the 7th and every week thereafter.

Will be shooting all with a Fuji X100, so some imagination will be required...here we go....:thinking:

All of my shots will be in a new set on Flikr, the chosen entry will just have the title of the week and the otheres will be suffixed with "A", "B" etc..

ie... Direction, Direction A, Direction B.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oddbod/sets/72157628678592219/

Feel free to check them all and offer any ctitique that will help me improve.

thanks

Bob

Week 1 : Direction http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4300488&postcount=22
Week 2 : Fear http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4326828&postcount=41
Week 3 : Sigh http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4347827&postcount=48
Week 4 : Sweet http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=4372199#post4372199
Week 5 :
Week 6 :
Week 7 :
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
Cheers peeps, that gives me a few days to get out there for the first effort. looking forward to this.

Well here we go for my first attemp. Both taken down near the beech on the approach boardwalks. I thought the texture of the boardwalks and tall grasses suited B&W, so i whittled it down to 2 shots. I preferred the one below that is this weeks entry as there was something of more interest in it, a divergance of two paths, two directions to take. the eyes are drawn to two edges of the picture concurrently with an emphasis on the split direction.

DSCF0352.jpg by BobC44, on Flickr

and the one i rejected

DSCF0357.jpg by BobC44, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi.
Think you have executed this idea really well. The position from where you took the photo seems to me to be perfect and leads one eye down one path, and the other eye down the other path. Quite painful if you stare at it for too long. Exposure as far as I can see was fairly spot on.
Nice start to the project.

I think I prefer #2 :thinking: #1 has what looks like cling film on the boards :shrug: The mono conversions works for me as it shows the textures well, good luck with the rest (y)

I think I prefer #2 :thinking: #1 has what looks like cling film on the boards :shrug: The mono conversions works for me as it shows the textures well, good luck with the rest (y)

If you mean the general "sheen" to the boards...they are covered in a thin algal slime at the moment, very slippy as I can testify;)

Hiya Bob,

Good on you for taking on the Photo52 for 2012 and a great start too.

I like #1 for the good use of lead in line and the way the curved right path leads you towards the mountains in the distance. I would be tempted to clone what looks like a piece of tissue/paper on the path to the right, which is a tad distracting as it breaks ones focus.

#2 is a well composed photo, however doesn't say 'direction' as much of the first (which leaves more thinking which direction to take). I agree with Michael regards the letterbox framing of this image .... I think that would suit well.

Good luck for your project and I look forward to checking in on you progress.

Cheers

Dawn :)

If you mean the general "sheen" to the boards...they are covered in a thin algal slime at the moment, very slippy as I can testify;)

I would be tempted to clone what looks like a piece of tissue/paper on the path to the right, which is a tad distracting as it breaks ones focus.

Sorry Bob, that's what I meant (y)

Grin...before you all get worried as to it's origin, it's sheep fur....now cloned, thanks for the advice:)

I tried a letterbox crop of the other shot and it has transformed the inage, much more immediate if that makes sence. I left it on my Flikr account rather than in here, but thanks again.

Last edited:
Couple of good shots Bob, liking the mono style as it works really well with these two shots. ;)

Hiya Bob,

I notice you have the 'edit' enabled on your thread ..... which is a good thing if you are wanting constructive critique and an example of what others will suggest (most times through the Photo52 you may find that folk try to explain their viewpoint by posting an edit)..... so I hope you don't mind me doing same here (if you wish me to delete the photo ..... just say and I will edit the post accordingly) ..... but this is the idea I have for your pic, which I think is brilliant as there are great lead in lines. the focus is good, and with a slight adjustment to contrast and sharpness you have a fantastic photo (well in my eyes you do!)

6620206067_58f4858919.jpg
[/url]
6619385351_3d96389060_b by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

And that is part of the learning experience you will go through over the coming year .... there will be folk who agree or disagree to same.

I look forward to following your progress because I can see you have a good eye for a fab photo and I would love to follow your progress.

Cheers

Thanks Alby and dawn. i didn't even realise there was an "edit" option in the posts...I do now. Feel free to edit and re-post, I like the look of your edit, the stronger contrast in the tones is effective and the border suits. I must start to use framing borders, they can become a part of the look of an image...cheers.

Thanks Alby and dawn. i didn't even realise there was an "edit" option in the posts...I do now. Feel free to edit and re-post, I like the look of your edit, the stronger contrast in the tones is effective and the border suits. I must start to use framing borders, they can become a part of the look of an image...cheers.

Hiya Bob,

You are most welcome, it was just to give you an idea of what a fellow photographer saw from your shot, and hopefully to view and not be ashamed to do some post processing on your pics (I guess the majority of us here do!). It all forms part of your learning, and I will be following same throughout this year.

Good Luck

Cheers

Hi ya Bob...

love your shots for Direction...1# takes top spot for me...love the diverging paths...the softness adds to the windswept feeling ( though I do like Dawn's edit as well ) & love the mono :clap:

Great start to your project...look forward to seeing the next 51 weeks (y)

Hello Bob,

Both your shots work well for me, but I think number 1 would be my pick. I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do for week 2!

I like these although felt that some more contrast was required. Drodd edited an alternative version which was more what I was thinking about. In terms of the original 2 my preference is towards #2.

I also managed to find another take on the theme of diverging directions. this time witht he added interest of a blank sign post and Fell Top look out come marker podium. A little bit more contrast and shaddows coming in from the left all add to the interest I think.
Makes me think about things a bit more in this 52 challange, hope it's ok to post up alternatives like this.

Direction E by BobC44, on Flickr

Direction E, gets my vote Bob. The contrast boost, the blank sign and the fell top all come together to make an interesting photograph. Lots in there to look around and hold the viewers eye. Bang on theme too.(y) Iain

Just to add a slightly different point of view...
I generally agree that I like a lot of contrast in a B&W conversion, but I can't help thinking that he lack of contrast in #1 adds to the feeling of choice.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what works for you, doesn't it?

Cheers.

Hi Bob

really like your edited version of the 1st image...more detail in the sky as well (y) Well done for taking on board the comments & giving it a try :clap:

ps...Don't forget to update the spreadsheet...link in 1st post where the themes are listed....makes life so much easier for seeing who's done what...I've updated wk 1 for you (y)

My attempt at Fear for week two. I have tried to emulate that look associated with 1920s silent movies.

My lad agreed to be the model which is the least he could do after passing me a dose of bubonic plague (aka man flu, aka a cold, aka the sniffles). When i have recovered from this life threatening illness I will sort out an Index to my 52 pics for you all.

Comments more than welcome especially as this is my first "posed" model as such.

Cheers and happy snapping

Bob

Fuji x100, 35mm, f4, iso 200 and lit from top right by a single halogen down lighter.

Fear by BobC44, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the lighting you have achieved and the mono fits perfectly, just a little more detail below the hand giving us a hint at what his mouth is doing is my only tiny crit I can give. I like the shot and idea. ;)

FFS I have an identical image. I'm just messing about with PP.

I don't know whether I should try something else now.

I like your shot by the way.

Go ahead and publish it, doesn't matter if we had the same idea and it will be good to see different interpretations...Great minds think alike eh:)

I like the lighting you have achieved and the mono fits perfectly, just a little more detail below the hand giving us a hint at what his mouth is doing is my only tiny crit I can give. I like the shot and idea. ;)

Thanks, I was wondering if I should use a reflector just to bounce a bit of light up to illuminate the mouth. Might give that a go tomoz(y)

Hi Bob, unless it's just my eyes It look like the focus is on his hair and not his eye.

Lighting, pose, crop and exposure I like though and the catch light in his eye for work really nicely as well if the eye was in focus.

Great take on the theme, only 50 to go :)

Great start to your 52.

Direction - The first one for me is great, i can see a couple stood there argueing which way to go! :LOL: Edit E is also a great view.

Fear - great take on the theme, as said maybe getting a little light reflected upwards to give more detail on the mouth. love the framing and the general idea.

look forward to your next 50 weeks

wardie

Cheers

Roly, you are right, the focus is on the frowns in his forhead. With the eye being so deliberately dark it was difficult probably nor effective to get focus on it so I opted for the "frown" detail and closed the apeture a stop to bring the eye into the feild of focus.

Only 50 to go.....that's a long haul eh.

Just had a look at the image on my works pc and the mouth detail is non existant. On my screen at home it is visible. It is a fine diference but it is there. Its almost going to come down to individual monitors on this one. I will see if I can boost the whole image brightness by half a stop tonight and see if that does the trick.

cheers

Back