Bodium Castle with my new Camera

Name
Clinton Gaskin
Edit My Images
Yes
Very overcast day today but I have a new camera and was working next door to Bodium Castle so just had to venture over and take a few shots.
I have got lots to learn so comments and suggestions are very welcome!
I would also like to know which photo is your fravorite and why ?

getpic503.asp

getpic503.asp

getpic503.asp

getpic503.asp

getpic503.asp

getpic503.asp

Hi Clint and Welcome.

Bodiam is very photogenic isn't it? Lovely castle. Did you get any with the walkway leading into the castle?

I think my favourite out of all of them is number 3 because of the trees and a bit of foreground interest although I might clone out that thick bit of grass . Number two is pretty good but perhaps having the castle slightly off centre (Rule of Thirds - there's a thread about that somewhere!) Shame about the bright sky.

The last one looks a bit overexposed, but overall pretty good first go! You'll receive lots of tips and information from TP - and look forward to seeing some more. (y)

Thanks Donna, yes it is a very nice place and in a very qwaint village too.

My fravorite was number 3 too :) I was fairly pleased with the outcome of the shoot, would like to return on a better day to see the difference a nice sky and a little more practice will have.

Whats the best way of not over exposign the sky but keeping the building exposed enough ?

Exposures is often a compromise Clint, better to expose towards the sky and get some shadows than over expose the sky completely ..Or, use a graduated filter on the sky, Or, wait for better light, evenings etc.

You could also take two exposures, (or three) one for the sky and one for the subject ...then merge them later in PShop, their are other blending techniques as well like HDR.

I like three too, (y) ... nice framing and foreground as has been said.

Nice set, thanks for sharing.

ND Filters is the only way (OK best way) but may not help with a flat sky like that. All good comps, simply repeat in better light :D

(y)

Hi Clint
looks like your question has already been answered.

I am going to the Grand Canyon later this year and will be using a selection of ND Grad, polarising filter and HDR techniques to try ensure that i come home with some decent pics.

Back