Body Builder

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Got in touch with an old friend from school via Facebook who's making a name for himself in British Bodybuilding recently winning a contest and gaining an invitation to the British Finals next month.
C&C welcome.

Ellis_socialmedia-2.jpg Ellis_socialmedia-15.jpg Ellis_socialmedia-16.jpg Ellis_socialmedia-20.jpg

#2,4 and 5 for me
The last one he looks like he's A:trying to hard B: looks like the negative perceived personality.

#2 Have you tried a B/W conversion

I really like Number 5 the B&W one - really really like. For me great photos communicate rather than simply capture an image and this one really does the trick. I keep kicking myself for not buying a B&W print from Magnum of Miles Davis just holding his trumpet at a rehearsal - it was superb and communicated just like your does.

Not keen on 3, I don't really get what "story" it's meant to be telling. Also looks too cluttered.

2, 4 and 5 are excellent! What was the light setup in 4 if you don't mind?

Cheers chaps, this was more of a "Can I come say hi and take some photos and try some lighting setups?" kinda of a deal so it was all quite random, lots of "let's try this" :)

The last photo was at his request, he'd seen a photo someone else had done and wanted similar, he was chuffed with that one for himself.
Thanks for the C&C and kind words.
The lighting for #4 Broric was 1 light + umbrella.

ellis_bts-1.jpg

Number 6 was natural light under a strip light.

I think you've done a good job but I'd avoid natural light like the plague. He looks extremely flat in number three and that's not a good look for a physique competitor.

Agree he looks flat and it wasn't a photo for him that one, it was just nice light coming in and I fancied doing a more subdued shot, quite the opposite of the others we had just done.

If you do another shoot with him you should check out Christopher Bailey (Bailey Image on social media). He's pretty much full time shooting bodybuilders so you should be able to draw some inspiration/ideas from him.

Good shout, I hope to do another shoot with him, this time with a more strict style of photography in mind, I'll checkout Bailey image!

Excellent set. I really like the BW one and the union jack shot. Well done.

5 is absolutely brilliant and if your pal becomes iconic they'd use this for "his" poster. Many a teenager would scoop them up to have on their wall.

Guy looks like a machine too, a lot of work involved in what he has achieved.

I like the natural light portrait by the window - although the positioning of the painting on the wall is a bit unfortunate... not a deal breaker though, and the final portrait is nice too. Not liking that flare from top left though. Looks fake.

I can't help but feel the rest are over processed. Nicely lit... really nice work... I just think the processing actually hides the skilful lighting rather than enhances it. All I see if processing.

I like the first full length shot too... simple... just shows his form well.

If you had an assistant I'd have got him to flag off the top of the brolly in the black and white sitting on bench shot as it would have prevented the light spill on the ceiling that's being reflected in the mirror as it's merely lighting a messy looking ceiling.

Still.... all good stuff! :)

Last edited:
I think you've done a good job but I'd avoid natural light like the plague. He looks extremely flat in number three and that's not a good look for a physique competitor.
I think that it works to show a softer side to the subject as a juxtaposition to the rest of the set.

I think that it works to show a softer side to the subject as a juxtaposition to the rest of the set.

I disagree. I know a fair few physique competitors and know from experience most would hate a photo that makes them look flat as a pancake.

That's not to say it's a bad image mind. Just that it doesn't fit with the rest of the set it's showing the model in (what they would consider) an unflattering light.

I disagree. I know a fair few physique competitors and know from experience most would hate a photo that makes them look flat as a pancake.

That's not to say it's a bad image mind. Just that it doesn't fit with the rest of the set it's showing the model in (what they would consider) an unflattering light.
Maybe the OP could let us know what the guy actually thought?

I'm not that keen on the pose in #6, I really like the natural light from the window and work's really well as a whole set, the lighting in all images look really good.
Nice work.

Very cool, great subject. 5 does rather shine out :) But they are all good.

Gaz

Curious about your PP approach, as I have to fix up some shots for a gym-rat friend of mine. Is it some heavy-leaning on the clarity slider, or something more involved? #5 is a fantastic image, though I'm going to disagree with some here and say that for me, #3 (The natural light shot) is my favourite by a long margin. Not completely sure about the environment itself (It's a bit cluttered) but seeing guys like this in "normal" light is interesting to me.

Black and white shot easily my favourite. Well done.

Back