body going soft

Name
Geof
Edit My Images
Yes
my old lumix G1 body seems to be aging badly
its sticky and the finish seems to be badly deteriorating
any suggestions to cure this appreciated...even if the finish which was soft feel comes off and is left as metallic

cheers
geof

any suggestions to cure this appreciated...even if the finish which was soft feel comes off and is left as metallic

cheers
geof

Happened to my Fuji X-T1, complained to Fuji and they sent me out a set of new grips to stick on myself, was easy to do. It started to happen to my Panasonic G80 too though, which was only 6mths old, it had other issues [still does in fact] and was sent away for repair. They stuck new grips on the front where it was starting to peel. It happens over time from moisture, sweat, rain etc ... the camera doesn't actually 'need' the grips, you can indeed remove then and clean off the glue, it'll look a bit strange but i thought the Fuji X-T1 actually looked cool without it's grips

[edit] just checked the G1, it's got a completely different type of covering/skin so might be very different. I was more talking about cameras with rubberised grip all over

Last edited:

cheers
geof
Is it that very thin skin of 'rubber' that appears to be painted on? I've had other items with that covering and it deteriorates with time, sweat etc. and it's horrible I usually end up scraping it off with my thumbnail.

Is it that very thin skin of 'rubber' that appears to be painted on? I've had other items with that covering and it deteriorates with time, sweat etc. and it's horrible I usually end up scraping it off with my thumbnail.
Sounds about right..will start scraping
Thanks
GEOF

Happened to my Fuji X-T1, complained to Fuji and they sent me out a set of new grips to stick on myself, was easy to do. It started to happen to my Panasonic G80 too though, which was only 6mths old, it had other issues [still does in fact] and was sent away for repair. They stuck new grips on the front where it was starting to peel. It happens over time from moisture, sweat, rain etc ... the camera doesn't actually 'need' the grips, you can indeed remove then and clean off the glue, it'll look a bit strange but i thought the Fuji X-T1 actually looked cool without it's grips

[edit] just checked the G1, it's got a completely different type of covering/skin so might be very different. I was more talking about cameras with rubberised grip all over

It’s ok cagey75
The thing is so old it won’t lose value after i bodge it...it’s so annoying anything would be better
Cheers
GEOF

Just remembered I had a G2 and the coating was as I described. Didn't keep mine long enough for the coating to go manky though!

Just remembered I had a G2 and the coating was as I described. Didn't keep mine long enough for the coating to go manky though!

I wanted to sell the body and get an Olympus md e 10
Think I might just get the silver body in retrospect

:olympus:

Cheers
GEOF

Last edited:

cheers
geof

got some 100 percent Isopropyl Alcohol Pure to clean off the sticky surface as it was given on several online how to's
didnt do a single thing
i had applied some tile mould cleaner which did some work and took a bit of the softy gunk off down to black paint....a pig to use though as it smells a bit chemically
final answer anyone??

cheers
geof

Back