Bograve Pump, nr Horsey, Norfolk

Hi Neil, its a nice shot and comp is ok imo but got to ask, why 10x30 sec exposure when just one 30 sec or longer would have been enough.

Hi Neil, its a nice shot and comp is ok imo but got to ask, why 10x30 sec exposure when just one 30 sec or longer would have been enough.

Hi Graham, wanted more than just a slight movement in the clouds. 30 seconds just didn't cut the mustard.

Hi Graham, wanted more than just a slight movement in the clouds. 30 seconds just didn't cut the mustard.

Ok fair enough, oh and your a brave man going out with the man flu.

Thanks Barry,

Ideally wanted it coming towards me...maybe next time!

The subject, it's sharpness & clarity against the softer elements due to the long exposure, the composition and the B&W conversion all work for me.

I like it a lot, but I do find the movement in the foreground rushes to be distracting.

I like it technically but to convey movement I'd have wanted to see movement in the subject if possible (looks like it isbt however) but I might have picked a windmill that works on a windy day. The movement is emphasised with the grasses but I'd like to see movement in the mill to compliment it.

I rather think with the calm reflections a colour image with soft subdued light might suit the natural tranquility of the scene better.

You'll have 10 of those colour images, maybe even a non long exp. have a think on this as this is my feelings but I bet one of them works better than these 10. As the mills dysfunctional I'd emphasise that stillness with stillness everywhere. You've got the reflection for it too

Technically it's a fine image, lightings a tad soft but I reckon this on a summers day in soft golden will scream rural Norfolk a whole lot more.

Last edited:
In a weird sort of way I quite like that the mill is the only thing in the shot that shows no movement. Kind of makes a statement that it's an old mill that used to work and spin, but is now just sat there neglected and falling apart, watching the world move around it.

Thanks again all.
I did take a number of images yesterday and taking Steves suggestion into consideration, here's a shot taken from a different angle with a CPL.
Unfortunately I'm struggling to correct the Hitech blue colour cast from any of the 10 or so LE.

Brograve Colour with CPL by Neil.A., on Flickr

I like that, it seems more pastoral, somehow more English. A richer light, and the cimp of the 1st you'd have a winner. The still exp somehow unstils that sense of decay in the windmill, a great location

Cheers Steve for your feedback.

Awesome photo!

I'm booked on a cruiser there this September. Can't wait.

Back