Bokeh + Japan

Name
paul
Edit My Images
No
Not 100% sure how I feel about this one. I picked this little fella up a few years ago in Kyoto Japan. What do you think? How could I improve it?

50mm f2.2 1/4 sec using flash and a few bits of white card as reflectors.

Bokeh by paul appleyard, on Flickr

I rather like this Paul and great use of the card to reflect the flash (y) I'm guessing maybe xmas lights in the background my only suggestion for a possible improvement is to try and get a full reflection in there too (y)

Matt

Good idea I will reshoot it tomorrow should be relatively simple now I've set it up once. They are battery powered lights not saying we're lazy but I found them hanging around in the house. Thanks Matt.

Well I had a think about the original and came to a couple of conclusions. The flash was to harsh, I needed the reflection, and i needed more lights.

so.. 50mm f1.4 @1.8 1/5sec

Bokeh Japanese by paul appleyard, on Flickr

the lighting is fine but your bouquet of flowers are a bit too concentrated and are striking the image...for that wide format you may have been able to set the background light sources in a more open and balanced pattern
did you enjoy kyoto...and see the golden shrine..or is it temple..heinan shrine...i forget now
but kyoto station was a great place to eat
as i see as is normal..as i knee jerk my way into a thread you have done better with the second image
cheers
geof

Very nice Paul.
The more subtle & less busy bokeh in second works better for me.
Maybe just a little too heavy on top of figure. I'd maybe try moving in a little closer and losing some bokeh from top, leaving the reflections below.
I think you need to try to get some of the lighter bg lined up with the hair (as in first) as the outline in second is lost.

Thanks peeps for all the comments I will take these all under advisement. I have a couple of other Bokeh shots I'm planning over the next couple of months I'm loving my 50 at the moment you have to think a bit more. I changed lights after the first pic I took the Christmas tree down ;)

Just kidding!

Japan is very cool spent 6 months working my arse off if only I'd had DSLR back then! I very nearly bought a Nikon DSLR but decided against it which was stupid in hindsight.

Our white glass dining room table. a sheet of glass with some white card under it would do something similar I had to clone out some small marks which is very simple on such a uniform surface

Japan?
Bokeh?
Danbo?
merrychristmas.jpg

Back