Beginner Bokeh

Yep, you see that on the Bokeh thread
Some people don't know the difference between a bucket and a pail.

RIGHT! Bokeh is not aperture dependent but distance subject/background dependent!
Furthermore, if one creates bokeh using a large aperture the price to pay, as with the bird,
is a consequent loss of sharpness due diffraction. These monkeys are a perfect example
of this. …a very cool shot by the way snerkler!

WRONG! The shape is strictly determined by the number of blades of the diaphragm which,
to be of desirable quality, should count 9 or more blades.
Yeah, sorry not quite what I meant. I know the aperture blades (number and shape) create the shape of the discs, but without light sources behind you don't get the discs do you? I've only ever got them with light sources behind, the classic example being Christmas Fairy lights.

im trying to create it in my photos,I've achieved it sometimes with lots of round discs behind the subject but it was luck,my 50 mm 1.8 gets me the best results,I know get close to your subject and have the background well back but what the best distance from subject to background?whats the best natural background?i haven't a clue.

No mystery to "bokeh".... you just open the aperture up. Simple as that. The "quality" of the "Bokeh" is a product of the lens, and beyond your control. Different lenses have a different look to their out of focus highlights. The round discs are just out of focus highlights... they're round because the lens is wide open... if you stop the lens down, those round discs take on the shape of the aperture diaphragm. You can see it in action on this video I made in Orkney a few years ago... wind on to 1m 35s.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM5uTU8cCBc

If I had shot that at f5.6 or whatever, then those round discs would be a hexagonal shape, as small out of focus highlights take on the shape of the aperture. However, I shot that scene wide open, so there was no diaphragm blades there... just the round open aperture of the lens.

You can see it again here between 6m35s and 7m10s...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhBm5tSe7s4

You tube has killed my audio on this one though.. Grrr.

Last edited:
One thing to remember is that good bokeh is not the same as good photograph.

What a great place the world was, before everyone started using the word "bokeh".

Indeed. I remember when you shot wide open to STOP the viewer from noticing the background... these days, they're checking out you "bokeh".

Who gives a toss what the out of focus bits look like!

Back