Bold conversions

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been re-visiting some recent snaps and trying different methods of converting to b&w. The two below represent the style I found to be most effective but I realise that it probably doesnt float everyone's boat as they are rather bold and contrasty.

Interested in your thoughts

lady_and_building_cloned_b_W-105.jpg

Hay2monosmall.JPG

I like number 1, i think the b&w works well, looks oldy worldy. Not sure about the clouds on the second one though!! The bales and field work well in b&w!!

Thanks Both. Looking at your website Dimitri, I'l take anything you say as gospel! Most impressive

Do you think a milder Grey would work better? I'll try it out

Thanks Both. Looking at your website Dimitri, I'l take anything you say as gospel! Most impressive

Do you think a milder Grey would work better? I'll try it out

I take it the sky came out so dark in the conversion because the blue was too deep. In this case, before you convert the image to b&w, desaturate the blues a wee touch, that will help.

They are very bold....but not so bold that I don't like them!! The contrast is what makes these pics for me...very well done!! I do prefer number 2 though

I actually quite like the sky so dark. I prefer #2.

The sky you have in the second shot is pretty much exactly what you get unprocessed from an IR camera ;)

Personally I really like the contrast in these two shots. It's very different to the originals no doubt but the skies are amazing.

I really like them. Love the bold contrast and the detail is excellent in both. Can't pick a favourite both equally as good (y)

I too like both images and the way you have processed them. The dark black sky shows up the clouds perfectly imo. The 1st is my fav due to the composition and lots of detail here.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment. Pleased to see that a fair few of you reckon they work OK as they are.

Dimitri, the skies weren't actually that bold in the original, I selectively converted the skies first and significantly reduced the blue values in the channel mixer to provide the black. I find that by getting your pure blacks and pure whites sorted in the sky, it allows you to bring out the range of grays in the rest of the image (done separately to the sky) while still getting a broad range of tones.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment. Pleased to see that a fair few of you reckon they work OK as they are.

Dimitri, the skies weren't actually that bold in the original, I selectively converted the skies first and significantly reduced the blue values in the channel mixer to provide the black. I find that by getting your pure blacks and pure whites sorted in the sky, it allows you to bring out the range of grays in the rest of the image (done separately to the sky) while still getting a broad range of tones.

I see.

Well Ted, at the end of the day if you like the result, thats all that matters. I just like pointing out some things to people because some times we can`t see the obvious until someone else tells us. And of course it helps the new comers.;)

I see.

Well Ted, at the end of the day if you like the result, thats all that matters. I just like pointing out some things to people because some times we can`t see the obvious until someone else tells us. And of course it helps the new comers.;)

Indeed. I'm just stoked that photographers as good as you are offering you're thoughts on my images. I'm certainly still at the 'new comers' end of the learning curve myself :)

I LOVE :love:both of your shots - B&W with strong contrast is always I winner for me. You mention that you are 'messing' with various methods of conversion to B&W - same here - are you prepared to share the methods you used on these?

I really like both shots. The compositions for me are really strong, but I have to agree with Dimitri, the sky in the second is a little strong for me also.
That said, as mentioned already, if you're happy with the result, then stick with it. :)

Back