Bonfire night settings?

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
Im going to a local park where I live, and Im taking my camera and tripod, and considering I only have a standard kit lens, and a 70-300mm sigma lens, What settings do you recommend?

Thank you :)
:help:

Tripod, shoot in portrait (so the fireworks dont leave the top of the frame) 100 iso, f8 (depending on any interesting focal point in foreground obviously) 4 second (ish) exposure times should give you enough to get various fireworks in the shot, but not too long for them to lose all colour. Bare in mind any people in the shot will probably move in this 4 seconds so will be blury.

All settings depend on the location, time of evening, effect wanted etc

Tripod, shoot in portrait (so the fireworks dont leave the top of the frame) 100 iso, f8 (depending on any interesting focal point in foreground obviously) 4 second (ish) exposure times should give you enough to get various fireworks in the shot, but not too long for them to lose all colour. Bare in mind any people in the shot will probably move in this 4 seconds so will be blury.

All settings depend on the location, time of evening, effect wanted etc

Its going to be about 7:30pm :cool:

Hi Daniel

Use your kit lens not your 70-300mm zoom, my image 18mm

I find my Best settings to use Bulb, F11, ISO 100, focus at infinity, cable release on a tripod. wait for the FW to start open your shutter, wait for just before the fizzle close your shutter, also if you can talk to the display piro team to give you an idea of how it goes so you can get prime position as in this shot so it looks as the bonfire is erupting

For more advanced shots, same settings, use a black card to cover the lens between FW, so as to get more than one FW on a shot the example below is 4 FW in one exposure using the black card to between each FW, 28 sec exposure (y) I also wiggled the card over the lower half of the lens, to stop the bonfire burning the shot out

4086418426_4b07e1770b_z.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Its going to be about 7:30pm :cool:

Cool, it should be plenty dark enough to let you mess about with different settings then. But my number one tip that I didn't really mention above is try and get something in the shot that isn't just a firework in the sky, sure that looks nice, but it could be any firework anywhere on any night. Try and capture something of the location/event in there too, even if it is just a bonfire.

IE, my local one that takes place in a field next to the church
fireworks-and-graves.jpg

Over the River Mersey
1412970030_3dc5f22e10_o.jpg

Over water at Southport
2919315998_a61d4d9721_o.jpg

Or like dave's above :)

round of applause for Dave & Tom... great tips and guidelines there... i'll certainly be following them (y)

^^^^ Seconded, thanks guys. Will be trying that out tonight. Pray it stays clear and dry.

round of applause for Dave & Tom... great tips and guidelines there... i'll certainly be following them (y)

Thanks pleased you found them useful (y)

^^^^ Seconded, thanks guys. Will be trying that out tonight. Pray it stays clear and dry.

Look forward to seeing your shots (y)

Great tip Tom about getting something else in shot (y) good set of shots Tom likin the graveyard one

I hope I get some goodens, just the area I live in you get idiots on this park, and im worried in setting up my tripod and when im getting it sorted, Im scared of someone either nicking it or knocking into it!

Just set my camera's settings ready for the local pyrotechnic to put his display on.

I am going with my Girl friend, and her little sister, Not to sound like a loser but I dont have many friends lol

sorry i cant offer any tips/advice but i found that rather funny, sorry, :LOL::LOL:

Dave & Tom
I didn,t find find it helpful NO just fantastic, the photo,s were very good i only hope my
printer works so i can print all the info for later use.

hope this do,s not afend any one.

Dave & Tom
I didn,t find find it helpful NO just fantastic, the photo,s were very good i only hope my
printer works so i can print all the info for later use.

hope this do,s not afend any one.

(y) look forward to your shots

Great advice given in this thread, look forward to seeing the pictures.

Hi Adam,

theres a great free FW display tonight in Chorley , I am usually official tog there but this year I cant make it Clicky Linky my photo is from there (y) try get on the hill as in my sot then your higher than the crowds

Hi all, the lowest ISO setting i can get on my D40 is 200 - does that matter and should i compensate in other areas maybe?

DSC_0662copy.jpg

Heres one of the results I managed to get, also if anyone knows how I can link my flickr in every post you know like every other person on here, could you tell me how please, thanks :)

Back