Beginner Books for beginners

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for some advice for a friend who's just getting into photography.

He's just bought a DSLR/kit lens and
I've given him my old Lightroom 4 and Elements 9 to get him started as I've upgraded to CC.

He's looking for advice on books to buy. I've only ever learned from trial, error and the Internet so I have no idea what books would be good for someone starting out. I've given him a load of links to sites I've found helpful but he would prefer to have books rather than trying to look up stuff online.

Can anyone recommend any decent books for photography and editing software.

What kind of photography are they in to? Personally, rather than the rather dry standard 'understanding exposure', perhaps look for someone who works in the area your friend wants.

Also, as a starter, perhaps something relatable to the digital era, perhaps even specific to their camera. They can always go back to the 'classics' if they feel the need to once they've got over the initial knobs and buttons for their kit.

Thanks I'll pass those on to him.

What kind of photography are they in to? Personally, rather than the rather dry standard 'understanding exposure', perhaps look for someone who works in the area your friend wants.

Also, as a starter, perhaps something relatable to the digital era, perhaps even specific to their camera. They can always go back to the 'classics' if they feel the need to once they've got over the initial knobs and buttons for their kit.

Thanks for the reply I think he just wants to try a bit of everything at the moment! The main reason was to photograph his kids as they grow up but he's also interested in landscapes/cityscapes and motor sport.

Back