Books you'd recommend?

Name
Jenny
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at books on Amazon but there are so many, I dont know which is best to go for or actually worth buying. I dont have much cash to spare so didnt want to go wasting it on something that may not be suitable.
Topics I'd like it to cover are:
Lighting, how to work with it and understand it - be it natural or with equipment (although at the mo I can just work with natural or on DSLR body flash),
Get the best from Landscapes,
and possibly some general books.

If its possible, if they could be easily explainable/readable.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Oh that one sounds really interesting and seems to cover a lot in it. Thanks very much

I've been looking at books on Amazon but there are so many, I dont know which is best to go for or actually worth buying. I dont have much cash to spare so didnt want to go wasting it on something that may not be suitable.
Lighting, how to work with it and understand it - be it natural or with equipment (although at the mo I can just work with natural or on DSLR body flash),

Get the Speedliter's Handbook by Syl Arena http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedliters...=1386677732&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=syl+arena And a flash gun (or two)! It's Canon-centric but all the techniques apply equally to any brand.

Flash expands your picture opportunities enormously, not just for when it gets dark. Generally speaking, while extra lenses allow you to tackle different subjects, flash opens up new and much better and creative ways of shooting similar subjects (y)

Put 'free' in the search bar, maybe with 'photography'!

It comes from being Scottish :)

Ah fab thanks will take a look at those, I like books to just throw in a bag or pocket - makes life easier!

Put 'free' in the search bar, maybe with 'photography'!

It comes from being Scottish :)

Haha I get where you're coming from, that was my next plan but theres usually a few and dont want to waste me time with some crap! :)

Get the Speedliter's Handbook by Syl Arena http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1386677732&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=syl arena And a flash gun (or two)! It's Canon-centric but all the techniques apply equally to any brand.

Flash expands your picture opportunities enormously, not just for when it gets dark. Generally speaking, while extra lenses allow you to tackle different subjects, flash opens up new and much better and creative ways of shooting similar subjects (y)

Maybe after Christmas I'll looking into getting getting a flash gun, just cant afford it at the mo & would probably like to understand light a bitty better before purchasing - theres a lot to learn - especially with bouncing the light of walls etc(??). Thats all good, I work with Canon!

Ah fab thanks will take a look at those, I like books to just throw in a bag or pocket - makes life easier!

Haha I get where you're coming from, that was my next plan but theres usually a few and dont want to waste me time with some crap! :)
That's the problem! There's a lot of garbage, but some decent nuggets that are worth a peruse.

As a thought whilst you are re searching what books and cost being an issue and i totally get where you are coming from, look up some of the 'how to' guides on here.. it will give you a starting point and there are some very talented folk here that explain stuff really well:D

It depends if you want to be spoon fed with press-this-button-and-then-this-button type manuals, or are looking for more general inspiration.

The Making of Landscape Photographs, by Charlie Waite - out of print but secondhand copies are a pound or so on Amazon
The Photographer's Eye, by Michael Freeman
Hot Shots, by Kevin Meredith - lomokev on Flickr

There's a bunch more on my bookshelf, see the link in my signature, but those are the three that come to mind first.

As a thought whilst you are re searching what books and cost being an issue and i totally get where you are coming from, look up some of the 'how to' guides on here.. it will give you a starting point and there are some very talented folk here that explain stuff really well:D

I've been doing that, and have saved a few - I'm scared I find a really good one and then it disappears! I've also found the "Digital photography school" website and have found some really good bits on there, I just prefer books as I cant read a huge amount on a computer screen but I'm printing what I do find :).

It depends if you want to be spoon fed with press-this-button-and-then-this-button type manuals, or are looking for more general inspiration.

The Making of Landscape Photographs, by Charlie Waite - out of print but secondhand copies are a pound or so on Amazon
The Photographer's Eye, by Michael Freeman
Hot Shots, by Kevin Meredith - lomokev on Flickr

There's a bunch more on my bookshelf, see the link in my signature, but those are the three that come to mind first.

Thanks for those, I'll check them out when I get home from work.

Neil van nekirk book on flash, also his website, I have really enjoyed his stuff.

Back