Bored - couple of flower macros

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Was fed up and couldn't be bothered going off in the car so these took my eye. C&C welcome as usual :)
_MG_1347.jpg

_MG_1345.jpg

Could possibly criticise the 2nd on lighting but too impressed to attempt to.:thumb:
What lens?

WOW! I absolutely love the first shot, very nice! The second pic is great too but it's just too soft for my eyes. I know that was the intent but I think I would have preffered a slightly larger DOF in this one.

Jewel

ok, here's my tuppence.........apologies in advance ;)

1) I like the colour balance, detail and DoF is great, but it feels somewhere between 'negative space' and 'hasn't filled the frame properly' to me I hope you understand what I mean there. It's a fine balance between creating a sense of scale by surrounding your object with space and filling the frame for impact. I do like it though, just being a bit nit picky cos I think you're at a level where this sort of stuff starts being relevant (that's a sideways complement BTW ;) )

2) Composition is good, I like the way the point of focus in the flower sits nicely on an intersection of thirds. Could do with being a bit brighter and more 'high key' for my tastes though. It's a bright white subject and would take the treatment well I think.

I hope you don't think I'm being over critical but I'm trying to give you an honest opinion on a field in which you obviously already excel.

Two comments on the lighting in the second isn't a coincidence ;)

Is this more what you were thinking Gandhi? Just a quick increase on brightness

_MG_13452nd.jpg

Both are a very nice completion of a vision that is outside the norm - both of standard flower shots and of those that attempt an abstract. DOF, lighting, crop, etc. all look good from here.

Nice work.

Tuna

Like these two Dod ... second white one is a touch better for me too !

Although I have to say they are all quite pixellated to me and look to be doing the same as my pics ... very small file size ?

Matty has been looking into this for me but, as yet is still unresolved !

Lovely pics though ... TFS !

I like the first one Dod, having photographed lillies for weeks now, this wasnt a shot i thought would work, but you have done it well and it does.

Back