Bornemouth Pier long exposure

Name
Mani
Edit My Images
Yes
View attachment 21236View attachment 21237View attachment 21238

Hi all, I thought I would have a go at long exposure. This is my first proper crack at using a 10 stop filter, getting up at the crack of Dawn whilst on a family break. Managed to escape and get back before the kids were up.

I've changed the white balance and tweaked the first picture in order to get the purple sky effect.

I've seen photos have a very dramatic sky and a beautiful sunrises, I just could not get the effect I was looking for.

Happy to take any critique in order to improve it next time.

I cannot tell if it is oof or camera shake. But the static parts of the shot look very blurd.

Lovely shots, especially love the first, the colours are wonderful

The last one however looks like it needs a bit of straightening, but it could just be the low angle and direction of the pier that is throwing me off

I cannot tell if it is oof or camera shake. But the static parts of the shot look very blurd.
Just checked the original image on the mac, seems to be okay on there, I downloaded to my phone and then uploaded to the forum, could possibly be the quality.

I would agree they look a little soft, were your tripod legs sinking into the sand at all?

Yes, 10-stop shots do need a dramatic sky I think, and on this day looks like it was all high wispy cloud. I think the last one with a really strong foreground would have made a good shot, the only problem with that bit of coast is foreground is severely lacking!

I would agree they look a little soft, were your tripod legs sinking into the sand at all?

Yes, 10-stop shots do need a dramatic sky I think, and on this day looks like it was all high wispy cloud. I think the last one with a really strong foreground would have made a good shot, the only problem with that bit of coast is foreground is severely lacking!
Hi

I've got spikes on the tripod legs, the only thing I did not use was a remote shutter, so could possible be down to that.

I wonder if the sky is best at sunrise or sunset.

I also used a Tamron 17-35 wide angle lens at F11, I'm not sure how much impact that would be to the softness of the image. It had quite a bit of vignetting, which I corrected.

a 10 stop filter at sunrise sunset is probably over kill... you'll get a nice long exposure by using grads and perhaps a .9

I tend to use the big stopper during the day, I just don't have time to stand around for 15 mins for one picture at sunrise!

What were you trying to accomplish? Was it a stunning sunrise shot?

If so its ND grads you want to be using, as you want to hold back the sky to ballance it out with the foreground.

By just using a big stopper all you;re doing is making everything darker instead of averaging everything out across the whole scene.

Last edited:
a 10 stop filter at sunrise sunset is probably over kill... you'll get a nice long exposure by using grads and perhaps a .9

I tend to use the big stopper during the day, I just don't have time to stand around for 15 mins for one picture at sunrise!

What were you trying to accomplish? Was it a stunning sunrise shot?

If so its ND grads you want to be using, as you want to hold back the sky to ballance it out with the foreground.

By just using a big stopper all you;re doing is making everything darker instead of averaging everything out across the whole scene.

Thanks Keety, yes I was hoping for a nice sunrise shot.

I will try and use the grad route next time, would that still help with smoothing out the water etc?

Yes, because you're going to be exposing (ooerrr!!) for at least 30 seconds at that time of the day anyway...

somewhere around 1/15 and 3 seconds will give you some blurred motion in waves, anything over around 10 seconds should smooth them out, obviously depends on how rough the sea is, but as you were at Bournemouth it doesn't really get that rough here....

Last edited:
Back