Boscombe Pier Sunset

Name
ewan
Edit My Images
No
This was taken on friday night at boscombe pier just a short walk along the beach from bournemouth pier.

Ive never seen a sunset quite like this one before, the pinks and blues were incredible and it almost looked like some sort of arora borealis effect going on.

Anyway this was shot that iv wanted to get for a little while now, and i couldnt really have asked for more.

all in all a pretty succesful weekend!

Thanks for looking

Ewan

Quite a beautiful shot that! Colours are lovely....might have been inclined to crop a little from the foreground to move the horizon off centre but that is nit picking!

Really lovely image!!! :clap: :clap:

Argh, I saw this sunset happening but I was stuck in a restaurant with visiting family:bang:. All I wanted to do was run out and grab my camera, but by the time I'd got home it was basically dark:crying:.

But this is a fantastic, as usual, shot. Very inspiring!

I can see I'm going to have to give you my phone number, so that the next time something like this is going on you can tell me and I'll be there like a shot to learn how the hell you get such awesome pics!!:);):D

well blimey i live just up the hill and i have never seen it look like that. awesome. how close is that to how it really looked? - i know there have been some great sunsets lately. i love your website, super fantastic. :clap:

well blimey i live just up the hill and i have never seen it look like that. awesome. how close is that to how it really looked? - i know there have been some great sunsets lately. i love your website, super fantastic. :clap:

Hi thanks. No i have seen more spectacular sunsets, but i have never seen one quite like this.

This looks pretty much as i remember it. Shot raw, vibrance +25, Sat + 10, which is what i use for most of my raw shots as they tend to look a bit dull straight from camera, then just a small tweak of curves, and lightened a vignette in the top left corner.

Cheers

Ewan

Argh, I saw this sunset happening but I was stuck in a restaurant with visiting family:bang:. All I wanted to do was run out and grab my camera, but by the time I'd got home it was basically dark:crying:.

But this is a fantastic, as usual, shot. Very inspiring!

One word. GUTTED! ;)

always happens to me too ( well thats how it seems ) the one time you dont have your camera or cant go out, there is the most amazing sunset/ sunrise!

Cheers

Ewan

Ewan, if that colour is for real (and you have witness here to say it is) than that is one amazing sunset. I can't say I've ever seen the like of it that displayed such hues.

As for your composition I would not fault it. All dimensions look right to me. (y)

Ewan, an awesome shot. Looks like we need to organise a Boscombe/Bournemouth meet soon.

I was working and saw this sunset, but I finish at 9 at it was just darkness.

And the fact I left my camera at home didnt help, cracking shot mate, ive worked in Bournemouth for 2 months now, seems I have some places that need shooting!

Amazing shot, got to get out more at sunset!!.

Dave.

It's really lovely, but the colours look a little "other worldly" to me. The fact that the vibrance and saturation have been upped may suggest that the colours weren't quite THAT vibrant or saturated?

But I still LOVE it nonetheless!

That's awesome !!

Well done for not getting mugged on Boscombe beach :LOL:

Thanks to Mrs Cowaski and Merovingian for stating what I was thinking.I did not want to be the only killjoy by stating that the colours do not seem right.
From "as it was" to "only tweeked this and that in raw"....seem at odds to each other......

It is in fact an AWESOME shot and stands as that.The features and adjustments available are there to be used,it looks like a W.B. tweek was used and thats great.

A general thought....it is a fantastic shot also as YOU were the one who went out there and took it...making it an INDIVIDUAL shot...not so if everyone joins in and has a meet at the drop of a hat...or seeing someones good'un and wanting to have a piece of any future ones.

Keith

It's really lovely, but the colours look a little "other worldly" to me. The fact that the vibrance and saturation have been upped may suggest that the colours weren't quite THAT vibrant or saturated?

But I still LOVE it nonetheless!

Hi there,

when shooting RAW although the files retain alot more information than JPEG, straight from the camera they are considerably duller than jpeg and also tend to look alot flatter also.
Therefore i find that this tweaking is necassary to get the image looking how i remember it.

Im glad you like the shot, thanks for looking.

Ewan

Thanks to Mrs Cowaski and Merovingian for stating what I was thinking.I did not want to be the only killjoy by stating that the colours do not seem right.
From "as it was" to "only tweeked this and that in raw"....seem at odds to each other......

It is in fact an AWESOME shot and stands as that.The features and adjustments available are there to be used,it looks like a W.B. tweek was used and thats great.

A general thought....it is a fantastic shot also as YOU were the one who went out there and took it...making it an INDIVIDUAL shot...not so if everyone joins in and has a meet at the drop of a hat...or seeing someones good'un and wanting to have a piece of any future ones.

Keith

Hi keith,

Exactly as i said to mrs cowasaki, i dont know if you shoot RAW or not, but if you do no doubt you will know that straight from the camera the images will appear dull and flat, therefore they require 'tweaking' to get back to how they looked in reality.

Like i said in my original post, this was a surreal and unique sunset, the likes of which i have never seen before, it was quite bizarre.
The fact that people might not have seen colours in a sunset like that before ( me being one of them ) doesnt mean it didnt happen, this really is how i remember it being.

Any way thanks very much for your comments and critique, always appreciated.

Cheers

Ewan

OH ps. No WB Tweak.

Last edited:
Hi there,

when shooting RAW although the files retain alot more information than JPEG, straight from the camera they are considerably duller than jpeg and also tend to look alot flatter also.
Therefore i find that this tweaking is necassary to get the image looking how i remember it.

Im glad you like the shot, thanks for looking.

Ewan

Hi Ewan,

That's a fair point. Mr Cowasaki and I went out yesterday, me borrowing his D200 (in preparation for me getting a D300 early for Christmas next week!) and him using his D700. We both shoot in RAW, and you're correct, as his images did indeed look very flat and not as we saw them whilst out - so I see what you mean.

So those colours really were what you saw? Wow!

Hi Ewan,

That's a fair point. Mr Cowasaki and I went out yesterday, me borrowing his D200 (in preparation for me getting a D300 early for Christmas next week!) and him using his D700. We both shoot in RAW, and you're correct, as his images did indeed look very flat and not as we saw them whilst out - so I see what you mean.

So those colours really were what you saw? Wow!

All i can say is, when i think back and picture it, this is how i remember it being.
It hasnt had any drastic editing, just minor tweaks, and when i look through some of the other photos from that night that didnt quite work, there were some with much crazier stuff going on in the sky!

Hi keith,

Exactly as i said to mrs cowasaki, i dont know if you shoot RAW or not, but if you do no doubt you will know that straight from the camera the images will appear dull and flat, therefore they require 'tweaking' to get back to how they looked in reality.

Like i said in my original post, this was a surreal and unique sunset, the likes of which i have never seen before, it was quite bizarre.
The fact that people might not have seen colours in a sunset like that before ( me being one of them ) doesnt mean it didnt happen, this really is how i remember it being.

Any way thanks very much for your comments and critique, always appreciated.

Cheers

Ewan

OH ps. No WB Tweak.

Thanks Ewan........I do not do RAW...i have enough trouble with Jpegs...:LOL:

It's fantastic that you were the only one to capture it.Just remembered one sunrise I took on Cannock chase...most thought I had maniped it but someone else witnessed it as well so I think they believed me in the end.
Thanks
Keith (y)

Excellent shot Ewan, really like the colours.

Andy

I live near by and I must say I've seen some spectacular sunsets recently, unfortunately I always seem to be in the wrong place, but clearly Ewan here has been on it! Excellent photo.

Back