Bought a 15-85 on eBay.....Grrrrr

Edit My Images
No
So i bought a Canon 15-85 described as mint on eBay, and picked it up from the Post Office today. Unwrapped it from the well packaged box, and first impressions were all good. Took the lens cover off and noticed the light reflecting off a funky pattern inside the lens. I took a guess and googled lens fungus, which it what appears to be :(. The seller took a note of the serial number before sending, so knows i couldn't swap it, but they are now being awkward saying they have photos too and there is no fungus whatsoever. They also seem to think i deal in lenses because i have sold 1 lens and 1 filter in a 3 year period o_O.

So this is a picture of the lens, that's fungus yeah? Some eBay users can be right £"$% sometimes, they must have known it was there, did they expect me just to live with it?

View attachment 24416

I'm sure they will back you up.
I've had issues that they sorted out

Ebay is always on the buyers side - I wouldn't sell a high value item on it, you only need a lying scumbag to complain and you're stuffed - you lose your goods and your money.

Being fungal growth, this is clearly not damage in transit, or anything you've done, as it takes years to develop. Raise the issue with Ebay.. you'll get your money back.

Very likely flebay will come down on your side. BUT will you get the usual "send it back at your own cost by tracked post for a full refund of the original price you paid" That is the problem with buying on flebay it is mired in sellers who sell a duff item as a try-on because all that can happen is it gets returned to them at no cost to them. The buyer ends up paying the return postage and has not got anything to show for it accept a load of aggro.

Being fungal growth, this is clearly not damage in transit, or anything you've done, as it takes years to develop. Raise the issue with Ebay.. you'll get your money back.

Include a couple of photos with your case. I raised a case with a Japanese seller who wanted me to return an incorrectly described camera and he'd issue a full refund (less post) rather than the partial refund I asked for to cover the cost of a service. After I posted images to support my case, he claimed that he meant to accept my partial refund request but that Chrome had malfunctioned and posted the return. o_O

Some sellers will do the bare minimum to stay within ebay rules, hoping that you'll want the kit more than the hassle of dealing with a return.

Yeah it is a hassle and it would be easier just to keep it, so you do think shall i just keep it? But it's only going to get worse so i'm definitely trying to get my money back.

Very likely flebay will come down on your side. BUT will you get the usual "send it back at your own cost by tracked post for a full refund of the original price you paid" That is the problem with buying on flebay it is mired in sellers who sell a duff item as a try-on because all that can happen is it gets returned to them at no cost to them. The buyer ends up paying the return postage and has not got anything to show for it accept a load of aggro.

Ebay recently changed its rules on return postage and now "If there's a problem with an item, the seller is responsible for paying return postage costs"

Ebay recently changed its rules on return postage and now "If there's a problem with an item, the seller is responsible for paying return postage costs"
Have you got a link to show that.It mus be recent I looked only a few weeks ago and it was the same deliberately misleading statement allowing the sellers to get round the Distance Selling Regulations (exactly why ebay is so popular with dodgy business sellers).Thanks.

yes its a fairly new rule change though how they can actually implement it im not sure. they cant physcially force or take money off the seller . cheapest return shipping option for you would be myhermes.. with insurance cover and signed for it would cost you around a fiver or less and they collect from your house and its tracked all the way. then send invoice of shipping cost to ebay and go from there

Have you got a link to show that.It mus be recent I looked only a few weeks ago and it was the same deliberately misleading statement allowing the sellers to get round the Distance Selling Regulations (exactly why ebay is so popular with dodgy business sellers).Thanks.

I received an email a few months ago which said the following:

Many of our sellers have already started using eBay Managed Returns and are paying for return postage on faulty or not as described items. Starting from September 15, we will introduce requirements that all sellers take responsibility for return postage on items which are faulty or not as described. If sellers choose not to facilitate a return or provide/fund return postage for these items, we may refund their buyers without requiring them to return the item and in turn we will seek reimbursement from sellers.

But if you search through the ebay help pages for "item not as described" it gives more information see here

Good luck with your dispute.

I received an email a few months ago which said the following:

Many of our sellers have already started using eBay Managed Returns and are paying for return postage on faulty or not as described items. Starting from September 15, we will introduce requirements that all sellers take responsibility for return postage on items which are faulty or not as described. If sellers choose not to facilitate a return or provide/fund return postage for these items, we may refund their buyers without requiring them to return the item and in turn we will seek reimbursement from sellers.

But if you search through the ebay help pages for "item not as described" it gives more information see here

Good luck with your dispute.
Thanks.That's a recent and welcome addition to their conditions.

Last edited:
It really isn't that much hassle i would keep it and make sure you leave negative feedback so they think twice before doing this again. What the hell do they think you wasn't going to notice that? Don't mess about emailing them just open the dispute.

Ask for a partial refund ..wip out the front element and clean it with bleach then put it back ... its fungus deep inside that is a problem ..use a 50mm lens like a magnifying glass and look into the lens from both ends to see what the true positon is

I had to return a DVD recently through eBay & yes it was prepaid :)

If you paid the average price then I'd return it. No way would I keep that in that condition UNLESS you got it at a VERY good price. Only then would I consider cleaning myself & keeping it.

I'd agree, if it was a really good price then keep it and clean it up. I got a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 off eBay for £110, which came with some (unadvertised) fungus. But at that price I was more than happy to wip that front element off and clean the bad boy up.

I'm hoping that I will get my money back, I paid over £300 so it wasn't that great a price.

Is the prepaid label tracked and insured?

I'm hoping that I will get my money back, I paid over £300 so it wasn't that great a price.

Well then yes you should get your money back! If I was selling a lens for £300 such as that, I would make damn sure people knew it had fungus.

Mine was for a DVD so insurance not important but I'm sure it was tracked & I had e-mails/messages from eBay giving me updates etc

Don't YOU worry about if it is tracked and insured that is the sellers problem not yours.You have done what febay have said so that's it.

So i sent the lens of on Saturday, and received the refund today, even though the seller hasn't received it yet. I'm quite impressed with eBay on this matter. The seller didn't respond to my returns request while it was open, claiming they were on holiday. They also tried to get me to send the lens back to a different address to what is registered with eBay, saying they had just moved just before i bought the lens. Sounds a bit fishy to me, moving house then going on holiday, but as the seller didn't respond eBay have sided with me and issued a full refund.

Whilst i had the lens i did a few comparisons in the house against the 15-85mm and the kit 18-55mm, and to be honest i was really disappointed with the lens. The 18-55 generally gave a marginally better, sharper image. Would the fungus have effected the image quality of this lens? I had a 17-85mm a few years ago (before it broke) which i really liked and thought it was a step up from the 18-55.

I'm now thinking a new Sigma 17-70mm maybe the better option, i have been put off buying another used Canon 15-85. Has anyone had the Sigma 17-70 and the Canon 15-85 to do a direct comparison? Does anyone else have any opinions on the Sigma or have any other suggestions which give a bit more versatility and image quality than the standard kit lens?

Back