Bought a lens with dust in...

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
I rec'd a used lens today that I purchased on-line from a well known camera chain.

In the detailed description of the lens it didn't mention that there was any dust in the lens. On looking at it today I could see two fairly sizeable bits of dust in the front element and lots of smaller bits - the lens is a 30mm prime.

Now I don't want to get into a debate about dust in lenses as I realise that most will have dust in them and they won't show in any images.

However, these are really quite noticable and I'm annoyed it wasn't in the description. As I'm not sure the lens is a keeper in the first place it concerns me how much less the lens will be worth if I sell it on....

I have emailed the shop who have been fine and have said I can return the lens at no cost.

What are your thoughts about this ?

thanks

I wouldn't want to buy it, even if mentioned and I know you have to have a shed load of dust to affect the image.

We all want the best we can get.

If it was cheap then I wouldn't worry so much.

It is rare to find a used lens with no dust in it. It is always a question of how much is acceptable.
You cold ask if they would clean it, but it might not be wort it to them.

Just checking I wasn’t over reacting that’s all
Well if you want to put it that way... You're thinking of sending a lens back, so you can get another one which will take identical photos.

You are over-reacting, but send it back and they'll probably replace it with an identical one, or get a refund.

Well if you want to put it that way... You're thinking of sending a lens back, so you can get another one which will take identical photos.
Absolutely in one respect. The other says it will have a small impact on resale value.

Not overreacting at all IMO. You paid a certain amount for a lens expecting it to be less dusty than it is. I think the shop probably didn't check it properly so they didn't notice the dust. Had they mentioned/noticed the dust the lens would have probably been priced slightly less and/or you'd have paid slightly less for it.

Thanks folks - I feel justified in sending it back. It’s not the fact it has dust in it as I accept that most lenses do but it’s the fact that this was not mentioned in the description.

I think that would affect resale value and might even put some people off.

I bought new lens but after inspection I recognised the lens was used!
So anyone please do a inspection of new stuff.

Last edited:
I bought new lens but after inspection I recognised the lens was used!
So every one please do a inspection of new stuff.

Yes, new should be "new" but what was about the lens that lead you to believe it was a used lens???

If you buy any used lenses - I would have the expectation of some kind of dust as standard - the only way I'd not expect it, is buying new.

Is it just me that never thinks about resale value when I buy something, as I intend to keep it...

Is it just me that never thinks about resale value when I buy something, as I intend to keep it...

Generally yes, as we know good lenses are an investment.

It’s not the fact it has dust in it as I accept that most lenses do but it’s the fact that this was not mentioned in the description.

The thing is, dust moves. It may not have been visible when it was checked by the retailer.
Hit the top of the lens with a hammer, I'm sure that will shift the dust .................. Just kidding, don't do that!

Back