Bought Graded from Buyacamera - questions

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
Great forum I have lurked on for some time. Only recently joined.
I bought a graded Nikon D40 from the above site. The first one I got was immaculate and as new. But I discovered it had no serial number on the bottom. I contacted Nikon Uk and they advised me to send it back. I must admit the company were excellent about this and arranged for this one to be picked up and a replacement sent out.
Today that one arrived. But on close examination I noted that it had the previous owners name marked with a security pen on the side. So it is not "As new". In fairness it can only be seen in a certain light - but I know its there!!
The website states:

What is 'Graded' - Items that are classed as 'graded' are products which have been returned by retailers to the manufacturer as unsold stock. Despite being sold at much lower price, these products can be considered to be as new as they have been thoroughly checked and tested by the manufacturer to ensure that they are of the same quality as a new item.

As explained it is certainly not as new. I have checked the actuations and it has 1361.

Any advice please? Or thoughts?

Graded generally means it has been sold and returned to the shop for what ever reason.

Normally they have had a fault, more often than not from new. The first time buyer will more than likely have recieved a new camera and the faulty one is returned to the manufacturer for a full service and repair. These products are then sold as graded so they can recoupe costs from having to replace the camera.
It will have been serviced and repaired at the factory so there should be no problems with the camera.
It is NOT a new camera.

One thing that would concern me is the counter not being a zero, to have gone to the factory it will have been flashed restoring everything to stock default settings i.e. Zero

If you only saved £10 quid I would send it back but if you got a bargin then maybe hang on to it as a bargin is a bargin and it should still have full warranty

Hope this helps

Pete

Thanks for the advice. They have agreed to send me a third camera with a written letter to show it is checked. They are puzzled why it had the previous users name and actuations of that number on it. As Nikon assures them they are returned stock.

Lets see what happens. I will let you know.

The first thing some folk wouild do would be to security mark and or put their name on a camera, if it then went faulty....

Back