Bought new router to replace Virgin SuperHub 3.0 but can't connect to the internet

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've bought a new Edimax Gemini RG21S router to use in conjunction with a Virgin superHub 3.0. This is to replace an older Asus RT-N56U router that keeps dropping out.

I switched over all the cables from the old router to the new one, like for like (cable from SuperHub to WAN socket, etc) and can access the set up wizard. It asks me for a host name when I select Dynamic IP but have no idea what to enter. I've tried my PC name, etc and it tells me set up is complete but it doesn't access the internet.

I've got the Superhub set in Modem mode and thought it would be straight forward as the Asus was simple to set up.

Any ideas where I may be going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Settings can vary from ISP to ISP. I suspect you will, at a minimum, need to provide your virgin username and password.

IP Addresses and DNS you can usually leave as Dynamic although I usually use Google Open DNS servers which are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Last edited:
Shouldn't need to do anything (at least I didn't with my tplink).

Superhub 2ac just flip to modem mode and plug the router in and let it pick up details automatically. Make sure here isn't a specific port you need to use on the vm hub for up link.

Last edited:
Settings can vary from ISP to ISP. I suspect you will, at a minimum, need to provide your virgin username and password.

IP Addresses and DNS you can usually leave as Dynamic although I usually use Google Open DNS servers which are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

That doesn't work, you need to use the virgin super hub in modem mode, then you use your own router as a router. I had mine for a while backed by a sonicwall when I needed a site to site connection to a client. (workign from home) :D

So put the superhub into modem mode.
  1. Log in to your Super Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
  2. Enter your Hub 3.0 settings password. The default password is printed on the bottom of the Hub 3.0. If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
  3. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
  4. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes
Then you need to follow the router setup in the instructions, don't forget by default it might not be on the same ip address range. Oh and try turning the router on, wait a minute, then turn on the superhub.

That doesn't work, you need to use the virgin super hub in modem mode, then you use your own router as a router. I had mine for a while backed by a sonicwall when I needed a site to site connection to a client. (workign from home) :D

I have no idea how virgin works. I’m with zen fibre using a BT modem and my router. I have to put my ISP username and password into my router.

The OP said that he’d already changed the super hub to modem mode.

Thanks for the responses. The Superhub is already in Modem mode as I've used the Asus router as a replacement for quite some time.

I'll reboot everything and try again. At least it doesn't look like I'm doing anything wrong.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the responses. The Superhub is already in Modem mode as I've used the Asus router as a replacement for quite some time.

I'll reboot everything and try again. At least it doesn't look like I'm doing anything wrong.

Thanks all.

Your virgin router defaults to a 192.168.0.xxx subnet.

Your new router defaults to 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

Change the IP address of your new router to 192.168.0.20 and all should start working.

Dougie.

Last edited:
Your virgin router defaults to a 192.168.0.xxx subnet.

Your new router defaults to 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

Change the IP address of your new router to 192.168.0.20 and all should start working.

Dougie.
No, the vm hub goes to a 10.something subnet in modem mode and just passes all traffic.

(edit - wasn't quite right with that, the modem mode IP is 192.168.100.1)

Having a double router set up is just going to end up double nat-ing.

Last edited:
Just checked my tplink, vm in modem mode and leave the wan side of the router in dynamic IP.

Once modem mode is on only port 1 is enabled on the 2ac to connect to the router. Not sure if that's the case too on the 3.

Last edited:
No, the vm hub goes to a 10.something subnet in modem mode and just passes all traffic.

The same logic applies, the access router must be on the same subnet as the virgin router whether it’s on a class A subnet or C.

OP could post the status page of both devices to establish exactly what both are set for. This is a very simple to solve issue.

The same logic applies, the access router must be on the same subnet as the virgin router whether it’s on a class A subnet or C.

OP could post the status page of both devices to establish exactly what both are set for. This is a very simple to solve issue.
If you're double nating then yeah put them on the same subnet. But not required for modem mode the vm hub deals with routing.

If you're double nating then yeah put them on the same subnet. But not required for modem mode the vm hub deals with routing.

I'd need to stick my own VM hub in modem mode to test this but the simplest solution to the OP's problem is as above.

If that's the case the OP should set his new router IP settings to 192.168.100.20 for instance.

subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.100.1
dns address same as the virgin router - 192.168.100.1

Dougie.

Last edited:
If that's the case the OP should set his new router IP settings to 192.168.100.20 for instance.

default gateway 192.168.100.1
dns address same as the virgin router - 192.168.100.1

Dougie.
No because the new router will assume the external IP and the vm hub becomes invisible in modem mode and just passes all traffic. The 192.168.100.x address is only there for access to admin.

So my tplink dynamic settings on the wan are my external 81.x.x.x picked up from vm and then has its own lan range.

Op - have you reset the vm hub since connecting the new router? Some videos suggest it hangs onto the old router/device and needs to be power cycled.

You've also only got one device connected to the vm hub ethernet ports?

If that's the case the OP should set his new router to 192.168.100.20 for instance.

dns address same as the virgin router (192.168.100.1).

Dougie.
No because the new router will assume the external IP and the vm hub becomes invisible in modem mode and just passes all traffic. The 192.168.100.x address is only there for access to admin.

So my tplink dynamic settings on the wan are my external 81.x.x.x picked up from vm and then has its own lan range.

Without seeing the status / setup pages of both devices, it's all very hard to assume anything.

Dougie.

It's worth remembering that the way VM implement static IP addresses (if you have one) is by building a GRE tunnel back from the "super" hub rather then DHCPing them down like sane systems do. Putting it into modem only mode stops that happening so you can't modem only if you have a static IP.

Thanks again all. Still no joy but will not be beaten. I've contacted Edimax as I've tried a spare router (DLink) I have here and that connected straight away. The only other hardware I've got hardwired into the Virgin Superhub is my main gaming PC and there are no issues with that.

This couldn't be something as simple as a cable issue could it, might the router require a network crossover cable?

I’ve just done the same but with a netgear nighthawk router. The virgin hub 3 is useless at Wi-Fi. It was a simple procedure of put the virgin router in modem mode plug the cables into the new router and restart everything. All working no issues no extra setup needed.

I’ve just done the same but with a netgear nighthawk router. The virgin hub 3 is useless at Wi-Fi. It was a simple procedure of put the virgin router in modem mode plug the cables into the new router and restart everything. All working no issues no extra setup needed.

That's exactly what I did and worked fine with the Asus and the Dlink routers but not the Edimax for some reason.

That's exactly what I did and worked fine with the Asus and the Dlink routers but not the Edimax for some reason.

Given your experience thus far, it seems to me that there might be a fault with the Edimax. Is there anywhere else that you can test it i.e. neighbour or friend's house?

Have you tried resetting the new router back to defaults?

What I would do is set the virgin hub back to normal mode, it will then start issuing up addresses, then plug in the router which might be set to dhcp and is therefore waiting for an up address. Once you’ve done this check on the Virgin hub what up addresses have been allocated, if any and then try connecting to that up address, hopefully that will be the new router, you can then take things from there.

Another thing that I’ve just thought of is that on the new router the default ip address should be written, so plug your computer directly into the new router, then setup your computers ip address to be in the same network range, so if the router states that it’s default is 192.168.0.1 then set your computers to 192.168.0.10 for example. This should then allow you to connect to it to set it up.

Maybe a screenshot of the Edimax's status page and WAN config would be helpful. As you've said it should be straight plug and play but if something like NAT isn't configured correctly you're going to have problems.

Check if there are any firmware updates, download via the Virgin setup and update the router manually without it being connected to the internet.

Have you checked the logs on the SH? It might well be a problem with your connection in which case you’ll need to ring CS.

Since last year I’ve had contention issues which means that my internet is pretty rubbish and now won’t be reviewed until June.

Does the Edimex router have a dedicated "WAN" port? If so, are you using that? If not, do you have to specify in it's configuration which port is the "WAN" port?

Apologies for the delay in responding but have now arranged for the router to be returned for a refund. Even Edimamax technical support couldn't get it to work. The writing was on the wall when part of the sign up asked for the host name and their help said to just ignore it...despite the next button being greyed out unless something was in it!

I'm now going to order TP-Link AC1750 (Archer C7) instead which has favourable views and around the same speed.

Unless anyone else can recommend an alternative for around the £70 mark?

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Why not use the routing/wi-fi features on the SuperHub 3.0?
I live in a reasonably old house and the signal is awful by the time you get to the upstairs. Even my old £30 Asus router (RT-N56U) is better than the superhub

You'd be better off with a multi node set up in that case. A single strong router will not perform as well in larger/denser buildings.
Agreed. And it has to be remembered that increasing the power of the router doesn't do anything to the devices that connect to it as they still have to send data back, the internet is not a broadcast.

And there is the point that the maximum power of a signal on the two wifi bands is set by OFCOM and most routers are at that already.

Agreed. And it has to be remembered that increasing the power of the router doesn't do anything to the devices that connect to it as they still have to send data back, the internet is not a broadcast.
Quoted for truth. Even with a strong router you're still bound by the transmit power (or lack thereof) of the device. Hence multiple nodes providing a more consistent good coverage of signal would be better.

Can you suggest a multiple node set up and costs as I have no idea what it is? Is it this mesh wifi people talk about?

set the vm router into modem mode , then connect to new router as is , to the vm router and you shouldn`t have a problem. the second option is to change the new router default ip address to something like 192.168.0.215

I too had problems with the wifi capabilities of the 2ac superhub and solved the problem with home plug networking.
Along came Virgin with the offer of the new superhub, I'd love to says me.
The result was that my homeplug network collapsed totally and inexplicably so it was back to the 2ac and the new router sits in the loft awaiting instructions from Virgin.

Back