Bought the Tamron 17-50 2.8.. Tell me about yours

Name
Levi
Edit My Images
Yes
As the heading says I've just bought the Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) but haven't recieved it yet.

I've seen a few threads on here about the lens but I'd like you to tell me your success stories or not so successfull stories. It sounds like a remarkeable lens by the reviews on here and elsewhere and yet I can't help but think that the lens has its pitfalls, the noisy AF motor being one of them.

Why not post some of your images in this thread and see where we go with it? :shrug:

Love the lens :) its great for the price, f2.8 throughout :) is good and its sharp, the focus isn't that fast but does the job :) the AF motor is noisy but then doesn't bother me as only reason for a silent motor would be wildlife As a guess.

couple examples
3338623345_ce1a962d08.jpg

3336793928_4ec026f660.jpg

3335940985_68b34dfeb5.jpg

3336768988_cde2ab01b9.jpg

most of my pics are taken with it PHOTOSTREAM

I love mine, its on my camera 90% of the time. I took this at Autosport International this year

IMG_2906copy.jpg

Some great photos there (y)

Can I ask you both kiteninja, CSB, and sakura if those photos were taken wide open at f2.8 as they look lovely and sharp? Also what do you reckon is the sharpest f-stop for the lens?

I'm planning on using the lens 90% of the time instead of the kit lens and although the summer months are upon us I take alot of indoor photos of my children. I do have the nifty fifty which is of course brill but being a prime lens can be a little restrictive.

That is wide open at f2.8, EXIF is in the image :)

i want to ask sakura...what the hell is going on in that last shot! Haha!

It's a great wee lens, my only gripe with it is the way the filter ring on the front slackens off, it's a 2 second fix though, just annoying that it happens at all. Apart from that I really liked mine (y)

like mine aswell and thats me comparing to the Nikkor 17-55mm

everything is as good as the 17-55 apart from the build quality, image wise is a cracker for the price

It's a great wee lens, my only gripe with it is the way the filter ring on the front slackens off

Can you explain this Flash? I dont get what you mean. I have been looking at these if i cant find the money for a 17-40L so i'm interested to find out the faults with it

Mike

Can you explain this Flash? I dont get what you mean. I have been looking at these if i cant find the money for a 17-40L so i'm interested to find out the faults with it

Mike

I wouldn't put it down to a fault but it is mostly made of plastic where as im assuming the 17-40 has a magnesium alloy body like the other Lglass lenses.

It does feel quite solid but then when you compare it to its bigger brother the canon or nikkon 17-55s then its less then half price.

I've not had any problems build wise with my 17-50 :) has been nocked about a bit and is still going strong :).

CSB: I've just been looking at your EXIF data and notice that your picture was taken wide open and at the full 50mm. I'd say there is no doubting the image quality.

I'm also curious sakura, what was happening in your pic?? :thinking:

no wonder I can't find many of these lenses second hand.. you all love it and don't want to part with it!! Just can't wait for mine to arrive now :woot:

kennysarmy: What a collection! You must be proud of them beauties.

Bought a second hand one for £140 today :woot:
Can't wait to try it out! A bit nervous as i've never bought second hand glass before but i can't afford a new one :shake:

That was a steal! Do you mind me asking where you found that cracker from? I paid alot more than that.. even fleabay sell them only a little short of a brand new purchase.

That was a steal! Do you mind me asking where you found that cracker from? I paid alot more than that.. even fleabay sell them only a little short of a brand new purchase.

It was on eBay last night with a "buy it now". It was only posted for 45 minutes before i snapped it up :)
I've been watching a few on ebay and they've been going for about £250 second hand so i'm pleased.
The only thing i'm worried about was that there is some trapped dust behind the lens element but the seller has stated that it doesn't affect the photo and after doing a little research on this forum i've found similar threads where people have had dust in the lens which hasn't affected image quality so i've taken a risk.

I had one for my Sony a300, but I changed to Nikon.
I loved this lens so much, I had to get another one :)

It's sharp at F2.8, and even sharper at F4 and onwards.
And it focusses close, so makes a pretty good macro lens too!

And the bokeh :love:

bokeh.jpg

Mangelwurzel: Yes thats about how much I paid. You can still get them brand new from a couple of places for less than £300.. but I didn't want to pay that much so went second hand.

Apart from the noisy AF I haven't seen a bad word about these lenses.

As the tamron seems so good opticaly does anyone know if you can use a tele extender with this lens, and is it worth doing as you'll lose a stop or two and some IQ? :thinking:

As the tamron seems so good opticaly does anyone know if you can use a tele extender with this lens, and is it worth doing as you'll lose a stop or two and some IQ? :thinking:

Yes I've used my Tamron 17-50 with a Kenko 1.4x Pro and it's a great combo.

The Tamron is an incredible lens - stays on my camera 80 to 90% of the time!

Yes I've used my Tamron 17-50 with a Kenko 1.4x Pro with mine and it's a great combo.

The Tamron is an incredible lens IMHO - stays on my camera 80 to 90% of the time!

wbessada: Thanks for that.. when you say its a great combo what do you mean? Is the IQ still very good? What about the deduction in f-stop?

I already have a ef-s 55-200mm f4-5.6 so would there be any benefit to me other than covering the missing 50-55mm? Is it still a fast lens with the 1.4x tele-converter?

Yes I've used my Tamron 17-50 with a Kenko 1.4x Pro and it's a great combo.

The Tamron is an incredible lens - stays on my camera 80 to 90% of the time!

Can you post some sample pictures with the 1.4 extender please?

Mangelwurzel: Yes thats about how much I paid. You can still get them brand new from a couple of places for less than £300.. but I didn't want to pay that much so went second hand.

Apart from the noisy AF I haven't seen a bad word about these lenses.

My second hand one arrived today. Really, really pleased with the lens (luckily the dust was minimal so why the seller sold it so cheaply i don't know :shrug: ).
Man it's sharp, but yes the motor is noisy - but i quite like the sound :wacky:

A test shot of my son in the garden about 3 minutes after unpacking it (he was crying with joy that daddy was so happy with his lens) :D :

3369000208_b264ea11ea_o.jpg

Still haven't received mine btw. :crying:

Thats what you get buying off ebay.. said first class on the description.. is he delivering the thing personally, is that what he mean't?? I want my lens :bang:

Really informative thread.
Added to mu original, I'm off to buy one this weekend.
;)

I bought one, for all intents and purposes new on ebay for £190 for my Nikon D300... It has the internal motor, and I don't find it to be noisy... just a bzzzt, bzzzt, that is so short it's almost a beep. Not like the vids demonstrating AF noise on Youtube at all. Focus is very fast. I really like it, and it's rapidly becoming my go-to lens.

Even the screw driven one focuses as fast as an AF-S lens in good light. There's a really short focus path, which is a blessing and a curse - I've heard that's the reason you can get TTL distance measurements wrong with flash photos. Although, it doesn't seem to bother my SB600...

Back