Critique Bournemouth surfers

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I was on holiday last week and found myself absorbed with the surfers. I have never taken any surfing shots before and don't know when I will again, but I'd like to and am therefore looking for the good, the bad and the ugly on this lot for future reference.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

shame about his hand in #2

as i was going through the pic I was thinking great!... then i started to get bored thinking samey :( I mean why post #3 AND #4 also #1 AND #5 ... I would ahve just posted #1 #4 and #7 as they are different ...

So getting past the samey bits...yes ...I wish I ahd the opportunity to shoot this kinda stuff.. only done it a couple of times... looks like you got a good day for lighting.. bright sunny day makes the water over expose.... good job on the pics.. just need to be more selective :)

Thanks KIPAX, on reflection I can't disagree on the sameness of some shots. I was gutted by the hand on number 2 as well.

Do you live near the coast ? I can get to the coast in 45 mins but its knowing when events are on and trying to find them non weekend over the summer...

interesting comments. for me they lack a little bit of impact.
If they were mine (i'd be chuffed) but I would take 1, 3, and 5 (maybe 7) and crop them close in to the surfer than their wake
then make a high contrast B&W of them to enhance the drama.
I wouldn't look for the surfer's mistakes or falls (7 could be good though) but look to capture the harmony of when the surfer hits a great wave

Do you live near the coast ? I can get to the coast in 45 mins but its knowing when events are on and trying to find them non weekend over the summer...

As I said these were taken in Bournemouth when we were on holiday. Seemed to be surfers out very day. Nearest to me would be Cromer or Grt Yarmouth, both with piers, but not as much surfing as far as I know and 1hr 15min min journey time.

Nice shots though I think 1/800 is too slow for water, there's lots of motion blur in there, 1000th or faster would get the water frozen quite nicely, unless of course, a bit of blur is what you're after. :)

Back