Bow Fiddle Rock

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
5 and a half hour drive for a sunrise, as weather across 5 apps looked promising, only to be met with rain. I wasn't letting a bit of rain put me off though, so off I went, and quite pleased with the outcome, considering.

Bow Fiddle Rock by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Like this Martin.
Lovely working tones, good water movement and a great subject. Some people no doubt will comment on the central position of the subject and the horizon, but I would feel that anything other than the composition presented would have a negative impact overall. Thumbs up for the dedication, I must try to get out of East Anglia more.

Last edited:
Thanks @NeilA1975 No doubt people will indeed pick up on the central and central composition, but there is nothing in the sky to warrant more sky, and nothing special about the foreground to warrant more dry rock....plus, I'm not one to stick to 'the rules' just because someone says so :)

Thanks @TheAndyA :)

@daugirdas this was taken that same weekend, the Saturday morning! I seen on Facebook you said you were heading out when I got home, had I known sooner I could have warned you not to bother lol

Thanks @NeilA1975 No doubt people will indeed pick up on the central and central composition, but there is nothing in the sky to warrant more sky, and nothing special about the foreground to warrant more dry rock....plus, I'm not one to stick to 'the rules' just because someone says so :)

compositions great, reckon with a colourful red sky this could be a corker of a location.

compositions great, reckon with a colourful red sky this could be a corker of a location.

Cheers Steve....the red sky would be amazing, this was planned to coincide with getting the sun rising through the archway in the rock itself....and the only reason I went at a low rather than mid to high tide like I normally aim for for a bit of drama, but I guess there's always next year! I feel I made the most of a not so great situation though!

I don't think you could have done much better in these conditions, so well done for getting a decent shot! You have also shamed me into getting there some day as I'm a lot closer than 5 and a half hours and have been meaning to get there for a while. :oops: :$

I'd be interested to know which forecasts you used as I tend to check the BBC, Accuweather and Windfinder for mine.

Cheers Steve....the red sky would be amazing, this was planned to coincide with getting the sun rising through the archway in the rock itself....and the only reason I went at a low rather than mid to high tide like I normally aim for for a bit of drama, but I guess there's always next year! I feel I made the most of a not so great situation though!

I have seen it done with a firey sky, it has to be this way I reckon. You might want to B&W convert that image, although I quite like the soft blue tones it seems a candidate for desaturation.....

I don't think you could have done much better in these conditions, so well done for getting a decent shot! You have also shamed me into getting there some day as I'm a lot closer than 5 and a half hours and have been meaning to get there for a while. :oops: :$

I'd be interested to know which forecasts you used as I tend to check the BBC, Accuweather and Windfinder for mine.

Thanks Peter. I normally cross reference The Weather Channel (that's my 'go-to' app, and very rarely gets it far wrong) with Accuweather and an app just called Weather. I normally just rely on The Weather Channel though, but wanted to cross reference a few with driving so far, and I think my mate also checked the BBC and Met Office whilst we were en-route.

I have seen it done with a firey sky, it has to be this way I reckon. You might want to B&W convert that image, although I quite like the soft blue tones it seems a candidate for desaturation.....

Never thought about a mono conversion actually, just because I liked the blue tones, I'll take a look at that though :)

Reactions: ST4

I think red sky for that location is just what you want. Is it now too late to get the sun in the right spot?

I think red sky for that location is just what you want. Is it now too late to get the sun in the right spot?

I think it'll be too late now for it to coincide with another low tide to get the angle....need to check again for my next free weekend.

It'll be like that durdle door, a few days a year it'll be ok. Tricky but if it's pulled off epic

Durdle door is good for at least 3 weeks. You can walk up and down the beach to position yourself in the correct spot. The problem is low level grey cloud that seems to be always there in the South West

Reactions: ST4
Back