Bowens 400 or 500W

Name
Sophie
Edit My Images
No
I have a 9x8ft home studio in my garage.
The garage is probably double that but ill only be using half of it. Its obviously a smallish space but will do for what i need, mostly baby portraiture/portfolio images etc.

I'm looking at buying a Bowens kit, just not sure whether to get a 400W or 500W.
I'm thinking the 500W may be too over powering for the small space?

Can i have you opinions based on your experiences please.
TIA.

400W will be more than adequate. :) I have a 300Ws lencarta setup and that is way more power than I really need in truth.

I have a 9x8ft home studio in my garage.
The garage is probably double that but ill only be using half of it. Its obviously a smallish space but will do for what i need, mostly baby portraiture/portfolio images etc.

I'm looking at buying a Bowens kit, just not sure whether to get a 400W or 500W.

Can i have you opinions based on your experiences please.
TIA.

That is about 1/4 of a stop difference so no difference at all, how many stops of control over the power do you have?

MIke

Why Bowens?

You'll need nowhere near that power in such a tiny space,

I'd definitely spend less on heads and more on some quality modifiers, stands and other peripherals.

I've had a lot of people try to talk me out of bowens before.
I have my heart set on bowens, I used them throughout college, and worked in Not much bigger Space, and their set must have been more powerful come to think of it.

I wouldn't dream of 'talking you out of it', your money - your decision.

I'm just putting an alternative view.

I tend to see lights the same as cameras and modifiers like lenses.

IMHO it's easy to spend lots on lights, and have limited modifiers, just like newbies buy expensive cameras and complain about having to spend fortunes on lenses to create the images they want.

I'd rather have flexible kit.

As Phil says above, it is easy to spend money on one thing and leave yourself short elsewhere. Bowens gear is expensive I would seriously consider alternatives such as Lencarta, around half the price and for gear that will work every bit as well. It will leave you more for the more important modifiers. Again, just a suggestion.

There's not much difference between a 400w and 500w head, you'll probably find a 200w head sufficient for your needs.

Try to find the non-Rx models as they're considerably cheaper (although I think they've discontinued the 200Rx kit despite it not being that old).

I'd guess you were using GM500's if they were monoblocks, so roughly 16-500w, while the gm400 would be 25-400 and the gm200 12-200. If you can remember what settings you used them on that should tell you exactly how powerful of a head you need.

Why Bowens?

You'll need nowhere near that power in such a tiny space,

I'd definitely spend less on heads and more on some quality modifiers, stands and other peripherals.

Ok fair enough, I have £1000 to spend on equipment, what modifiers would you suggests?
I'm going to go for the bowens 400w. Decision made.

To start with I'm getting;
two large octagon soft boxes
A Beauty dish
Reflector, including stand

I already have a speed light and diffuser.

My aim is to do the photography I mentioned in original post but to have a play around with different kinds of lighting and experiment with shadows etc.

I already have a cheap Chinese make of lights that have served their purpose for nearly 3 years and are now just gradually breaking bit by bit.

There's not much difference between a 400w and 500w head, you'll probably find a 200w head sufficient for your needs.

Try to find the non-Rx models as they're considerably cheaper (although I think they've discontinued the 200Rx kit despite it not being that old).

I'd guess you were using GM500's if they were monoblocks, so roughly 16-500w, while the gm400 would be 25-400 and the gm200 12-200. If you can remember what settings you used them on that should tell you exactly how powerful of a head you need.

Thankyou!

Back