Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Is there anyone can help me find any information on this Bowens light modifier? The sound of rolling eyes clacking together can be heard from here. But please hear me out.

Like many others, for some time I have been trying to get hold of the Bowens BW1880 Universal Spot Attachment, having somehow fallen into collecting Bowens light modifiers. When this item popped up on eBay with just a few hours to go, I mistook it (overly excited) for the BOWENS BW1880 and promptly put in a bid that to me was a significant amount of money.

Only when I came back to view the conclusion of bidding did I notice I was bidding on the Bowens Focussing Spot and not a Bowens BW1880 Universal Spot Attachment. Of course my bid won.

Pleased as Punch though once it finally arrived. Build is of the highest quality and the focus spot light edge is razor sharp. The focus range is huge taking Size A Gobos (size B with some creative engineering).

With “Made in England” printed to the side I’m guessing it has some age which brings me to my point.

Having made exhaustive searches I have been unable to find any information anywhere about this modifier.

I have never come across this particular modifier before. If there is anyone out there who could point me in the right direction I’d be most grateful?Bowens Focussing Spot.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TP

There are some knowledgeable studio gear folk at TP, so as I am more ignorant of this.......I would welcome seeing a picture or three of the item and it's identification markings, because a search (as you have done?) shows, apparently, the item you thought you were buying!

Last edited:
you might get a better response if you linked to what you've actually bought. :)

Reactions: Sky
Hi. Thanks for replies. Only just seen how to upload photos. Hope this helps.Bowens Focussing Spot.jpg

Yes, it's an old bit of kit and basic, but potentially useful.
What do you want to know about it?

Hi Garry. I know absolutely nothing about it. Having spent hours trying find any information on the internet has resulted in nothing but frustration. As you say it is basic and easy to use but I think there is a support bracket missing as this would be a heavy weight to hang off a light without one. I will supply a picture of what appears a support rail on the oppositie side tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well, as you've already discovered, it can be fitted with a GoBo to project patterns. These are typically projected either on to the background or on to the subject. It used to be possible to get hundreds of different designs, maybe still is, and of course you can also make your own. The images projected can be either sharp or blurred to suit.

And of course you can also add gels to colour the light if required. That basically is what it does.

But as I mentioned before, it's pretty basic. More advanced models (for example from Bron and Elinchrom) had 4 adjustable shutters, used typically for restricting the light to a specific required shape such as a wine bottle, and an iris to produce circles of light of various sizes. I remember that my Elinchrom one (which I still have somewhere) had a simpler and less good variation, basically a series of Waterhouse Stops that created various different size circles.

The biggest single disadvantage, not including the lack of versatility, of your type is that - from memory - it will also project every spot of dust that ends up on the condenser lens, which can be annoying.

All of these modifiers run very hot - use the modelling lamp only for as long as absolutely necessary - and they eat power too, so you'll need a high-powered studio flash for it. Again from memory, I used to use either 2400 or 6000Ws flashes with mine.

Hope this helps.

More pics of Bowens Focussing Spot. Note the Arca Swiss shaped strip/bracket across bottom of modifier. The small grey button is spring loaded as a safety catch I believe. So far I have been unable to source any information or images of this modifier. If anyone has any information or images of the Bowens Focussing Spot with what I assume is the support the bracket, it would be greatly appreciated.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg that would be great.

Last edited:
Isn't that just the version prior to the Universal spot (80's)? It's probably better made even if it is overly large.

I'm trying to remember what those rails were for, you can also find them on old Quadmatic heads, even the teeny tiny ones that don't weigh anything so I'd actually assume it's some kind of accessory support rather than meant as reinforcement (not certain at all though).

quad3khs.jpg

Only person I can think of that you could easily ask is Brian Chapman.

Simon thank you so much. Having spent many fruitless hours chasing any information about this modifier, at last I have a new direction in which to search. Also now need to source a Bowens light stand/tilt head.

Again thank you for your time.

Thanks Steven. Will keep an eye on eBay and maybe need to buy a quad head with one attached. This thing is seriously weighty and although I have used it attached directly to my Gemini heads without support I'd feel a lot more secure with a direct to stand mount.

Last edited:
Once it's up and running some pictures taken with it would be nice :D

Got ‘im. Had been watching 2 x Bowens Traveller 3000GHF flashes with these attached and planned to put in a bid but looking into it these lights they are still fetching a good/high price and there is a limit to what I am able to pay. Also my interests must be constrained and purchasing those lights would have led me down another rabbit hole of Quadmatics and battery packs etc. Had been placing saved searches with email alerts this morning, when I thought I’d give a simple Bowens search on the off chance and there it was. Top of the listings. I believe the relevant term is “well chuffed”. Anyway… thanks for the heads up RuPhoto. Really appreciated.

Hey David,
I was gonna post about this modifier recently because I couldn't find any info too. Only one pic in google that traced back to an ebay seller in UK who apparently has two sets of this along with all the necessary accessories, which includes iris, gobos holder, some gobos, some size reduction insert, etc...
By chance I also got one recently, which has old square holder and two magnetic stripes to reduce the lighting size.

Hi Ngo. The lack of information on this focussing spot, text or imagery, is really weird. Its only for the generosity of people on this forum that I have some idea now in which direction to search. Also I was able to understand the purpose of the arca type strip running along the bottom of the fixture and therefore source the appropriate clamp. As you will know, the weight of this fixture demands the correct support.

I also have the gobo holder but what I would give for the iris.

With the knowledge gained from the forum contributors here, this afternoon I am going to give a search another go and try to pin down some definitive dates and info.

As soon as the clamp arrives I will post some photos.

Cheers Ngo.

Hi Steven. It’s certainly an idea. Eeven if the original iris appeared on the market the price could be astronomic. I followed the link you supplied but a larger unit is required. The original gobo holder has an aperture of 90mm, the largest (mechanical iris aperture diaphragm) I can see has an outer diameter: 82mm with an inner diameter: 60mm. A metal plate with the correctly sized aperture should not take too much to produce.

Thanks Steven

Going to try and source the original part for a week or two and if that yields no success then fabricate it is. Thanks for the idea Steven.

Thanks Ngo. Found your post first thing this morning an immediately set about searching. Unfortunately after an hour still no success. Not even an image. No problem, I usually give eBay a Bowens search at least once a day and with these part numbers my chances of success are increased significantly.

Here is the picture of all the accessories David.
As you already have the gobos holder, I think you dont need the BW 1880 anymore. I have both of them and the focussing spot is way better in term of build and probably image too. However the size is also bigger and it is heavier.
Bowens-Flash-Spotlight-Attachment.jpg

Ngo. Wow. Original box as well and even that is in good condition. The angled bars, are they Bowens versions of cutters?

The angle bars which have magnets go in pair with the square shape insert to reduce the light path without the need of iris.

Hi Ngo. Thought you might be interested in a mask to add to your collection. It’s for projecting 35mm slide transparencies with the Bowens Focussing spot. First I must warn you that they are charging way over the top but they are new. Part number BW-2926. Postage is also high but I think it’s all negotiable. The sellers are Italian and appear to have good feedback ratings.

Not allowed to post links until I’ve made 3 posts but this is the description they are using.

PRL) BOWENS BW-2926 MASCHERINA 35 mm PORTA DIA TRANS HOLDER FOR FOCUS SPOT

It might be an idea to wait until my order turns up just to make sure all is kosha.

Hi Ngo. Thought you might be interested in a mask to add to your collection. It’s for projecting 35mm slide transparencies with the Bowens Focussing spot. First I must warn you that they are charging way over the top but they are new. Part number BW-2926. Postage is also high but I think it’s all negotiable. The sellers are Italian and appear to have good feedback ratings.

Not allowed to post links until I’ve made 3 posts but this is the description they are using.

PRL) BOWENS BW-2926 MASCHERINA 35 mm PORTA DIA TRANS HOLDER FOR FOCUS SPOT

It might be an idea to wait until my order turns up just to make sure all is kosha.
I see it now, thanks for the info David.

hi all, interesting topic because I'm also searching for the Gobo holder for the Bowens Spot projector! I'm curious if the Bowens BW-2926 is delivered to David? Any adbice on the right Gobo holder? rgds Piet

Back