Bowens Gemini 250R fault?

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
No
So I noticed the other day that my Bowens Gemini 250R was missing shots, and I soon realised it was flashing green around the test fire button, which it does when recycling, but it was doing this between recycles. Any ideas? I'm assuming it's a fault that it's recently developed, unless i'm missing something painfully obvious.

My guess would be one or more of the capacitors is leaking (or is being drained) and it's constantly charging it up.

Yeah it's a hardware fault, I've had a few of those fixed by Bowens over the years. They had to replace a board so it worked out quite expensive and of course is no longer an option with Bowens gone, sure you could find a company to replace the parts but they'd just be sourcing them from used donors so you may as well buy second hand instead as it'll probably be cheaper and it's not like they can really guarantee the work.

You'll probably have a hard time finding a 250R as they're relatively rare compared to the 500r, if one does pop up it should be nice and cheap due to how much more popular 500 W/s heads are/were, if you don't mind the older Esprit Gemini or the Gemini Classic they're often pretty cheap too but I'd look at brands like Godox first as eventually the Bowens kit will give up the ghost (R's are up to 30 years old now right?), it's surprising how much Bowens kit is still available and you do have options like Phoxene for replacement tubes but I'd have thought Godox etc are probably an easier option at this point.

There are some real bargains about in terms of pre-loved flash heads, especially on eBay if you bide your time and choose carefully. A few months ago I went from 2 Bowens Esprit II 500s to 5 Elinchrom heads (3 x D-L RX4s and 2 x D-L 4ITs) for a net cost of £280. All were mint and lightly used, and all but one of the heads came boxed and as a kit with stands, softboxes and carry cases.

I'd certainly not be spending money on repairs in the OP's position.

Back