Bowens Lights & Canon ST-E2

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have had some bowens lights and a ST-E2 for a little while now but never used the ST-E2 to trigger the lights.
Tried it today and found it doesnt work at all! It will fire the lights but I just get a black screen on my camera.

Ok so I remember this used to happen when I used my 430EX to trigger them then realised that it needed to be on Manual not ETTL, so putting 2 and 2 together I am assuming that the ST-E2 will only work on ETTL and not manual like my flash does or am I missing something?

If I cannot get this to work then will have to consider an alternative.....any suggestions apart from the Bowens Pulsars?

Cheers

When you say it will fire the lights, do you mean with the test button on the ST-E2?

no when the camera has the ST-E2 attached and you take a picture the lights are triggered but the image is pretty much pure black, just like when you use a flashgun on ETTL.

Obviously it is using the cell to trigger it not radio and this wont work with ETTL so is there a way to get the ST-E2 to trigger in manual?

The ST-E2 is designed to work specifically with the Canon range of flash guns. It is probably triggering the optical sensor on the Bowens lights as it emits infra red light to communicate with other Canon flashes and also emits an infra red focus assist beam.

Bottom line is that it should not work. Unless someone knows a trick that I am am unaware of then you will need to get a trigger (optical or wireless).

I believe it will work for you if you tape over the four E-TTL pins before mounting the ST-E2 on the body....I'm trying to find the pin-out diagram ATM.

Bob

i wouldnt have thought that it would trigger the lights at all!!

Anyway, as it IS the have you checked the shutter speed you've been using?? if you are firing faster than the sync speed that could be an answer, also, even if its triggering the lights, they may not be in sync at all with your shutter..

Im am pretty sure canons fire a preflash just before the main flash. this will trigger the main studio lights before your shutter opens.
all the people at college who shoot canon have had this problem

Im am pretty sure canons fire a preflash just before the main flash. this will trigger the main studio lights before your shutter opens.
all the people at college who shoot canon have had this problem

That's correct and exactly why you need to disable the E-TTL by taping the pins.

Bob

That's correct and exactly why you need to disable the E-TTL by taping the pins.

Bob

If you disable ETTL, Bob.. isnt that the same as using it in manual?

Does the transmitter have a manual mode? If not, putting the camera in manual, the flash/transmitter will still try to compensate in whatever way it sees fit using TTL. As far as the transmitter is concerned it's trying to communicate with a 480/580/whatever canon flash you have requiring ttl.

transmiter doesnt have manual mode, thats why I am asking for help. I know in ETTL it wont work, just like using my 430EX in ETTL doesnt work, but as soon as I put the 430EX into manual I can control the lights perfect.

Bob, as you say it looks like the ETTL pins is the answer...but then Im wondering if I would be betting selling the ST-E2 and going for specific triggers

Cheer

If you disable ETTL, Bob.. isnt that the same as using it in manual?

Yes, it is. The problem is that the ST-E2 doesn't have a manual mode and hence taping the E-TTL pins is the only way around that I'm aware of.
Glitch has got my ST-E2 at the moment so I'm not in a position to try it...it may be on it's way back tomorrow.

Bob

I've seen something like this problem on the WWW and can't find it. I'm sure the guy used a 580EX II with a cable from the 580EX to the lights and the 580 was triggered by the ST-E2 but don't quote me on this as I don't own any Bowens stuff so I'm a bit in the dark about it!

har har! wee joke in there somewhere!

would you beleive it!!

I just get home and decide to try the advice in the link above and my bloody ST-E2 battery is dead..... Off to Maplin tomorrow to get another one then will try it.

Thanks Admirable

Back