Boxing Day in the Hide (A running thread image 19 has now been added)

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
:eek:It was minus 16 last night and with some trepidation :cautious: i thought i might spend a few hours taking some shots of my feathered friends from the hide. I've heard of people freezing to death in hides :puke:
:D On the up side my hide means i don't have to venture out of the house just climb the stairs to my bedroom open the window insert the plywood panel secure in place with turnkeys position lens in cut out pull lefthand curtain and put rug around lens i hate draughts :clap: and just sit and wait with a nice single malt or a glass of Drambuie and the central heating turned up :shrug: it's hard being a conscientious bird photographer we have to make so many sacrifices :shake:For the sake of our art :D

First up my old mate Ceders was soon at the feeding station i named him after another canny old Bird on TP :D any guesses

rw27.jpg

Please note as i reply other shots will be added this is just the first to get us started

Regards All

Richard

Last edited:
sounds like my kind of hide- is there room for two :nuts::nuts:

Love the image of the Jay- 600mm lens worked very well

Les (y)

Lovely image.......Nice and sharp with good detail.(y)

Must be really hard taking good pictures in such harsh conditions. Don't know how you do it:LOL:

Get out there in the proper hides lol mine seem to have been put on hold, not heard from anyone so bit lonely down there in the cold.

Will get back to it , my resolution this year is "sod everyone else, think of myself for a change, and look after NO 1"

And with the 600 as well Rich :thinking: I reckon you did not even get out of bed for that one :D Lovely catch with some good feather detail, look forward to your additions (y)

Nice shot Rich, and i don't blame you for shooting from a warm house. I had to shovel a path to my hide in the garden. Its quite warm if the sun's out, but there is only room for me, my bench seat, and a beer or two. I don't get Jays in the garden, just farmland type birds. Mind you don't drop the 600mm out of the window. :LOL:

sounds like my kind of hide- is there room for twoLove the image of the Jay- 600mm lens worked very well

Les (y)

Sorry only 1 opening light thanks les

Lovely image but -16!

Thanks i have reason to know we had a leak Christmas Day evening 11.45 to be precise i had to go to my workshop and get some tools the Galaxy was showing -16 i did'nt finish the repair till 1am it was a outside tap and the tools were sticking to my hands you could'nt put them down

Lovely image.......Nice and sharp with good detail
Must be really hard taking good pictures in such harsh conditions. Don't know how you do it

Mick it is hard :D but someone has to do it

Lovely lighting and detail. Well done

Thanks

Get out there in the proper hides lol mine seem to have been put on hold, not heard from anyone so bit lonely down there in the cold.

Will get back to it , my resolution this year is "sod everyone else, think of myself for a change, and look after NO 1"

I don't blame you on the last bit hope you did'nt leave Brian in the Hide when it snowed :D he would not make it back with that piece of scrap round his neck :naughty:

Lovely shot Rich,will a bottle of booze get me into this heated hide
regards,
john.

Cheers John sorry mate only one opening light but i am working on it

Very nice Richard :clap: is it CT? :LOL::LOL:

Thanks it could well be

And with the 600 as well Rich :thinking: I reckon you did not even get out of bed for that one :D Lovely catch with some good feather detail, look forward to your additions

Cheers Rich

Nice shot Rich, and i don't blame you for shooting from a warm house. I had to shovel a path to my hide in the garden. Its quite warm if the sun's out, but there is only room for me, my bench seat, and a beer or two. I don't get Jays in the garden, just farmland type birds. Mind you don't drop the 600mm out of the window.

Thanks Frankie i won't

Regards All

Richard

Last edited:
One from today the light was not great

rw39.jpg

Regards

Richard

I don't blame you on the last bit hope you did'nt leave Brian in the Hide when it snowed :D he would not make it back with that piece of scrap round his neck :naughty:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Have not heard a word before, during or after christmas :shrug: he may still be in there for all I know frozen to the spot. :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Have not heard a word before, during or after christmas :shrug: he may still be in there for all I know frozen to the spot. :LOL:

:eek: :thinking:well i suppose if he's as stiff as a board you can use him as a seat damned if i know what you can do with the Nikon though only use i could think of is a :naughty: Door Stop :D

Regards

Richard

Rich, I think Ceders has come out real good, nice detail and colours, only one thing, shouldnt this be posted in the 'Spot a Togger' forum? Last I heard he was hibernating for the winter, and who can blame him :D got more sense than the rest of us freezing in hides just as you describe :eek:

Nice work mate, like ther goldie too (y)

New hide as very impressive bud...............:D

Good captures Richard - that Drambuie works wonders :D

Rich, I think Ceders has come out real good, nice detail and colours, only one thing, shouldnt this be posted in the 'Spot a Togger' forum? Last I heard he was hibernating for the winter, and who can blame him :D got more sense than the rest of us freezing in hides just as you describe :eek:

Nice work mate, like ther goldie too (y)

Cheers Trev i wondered what the old devil was up to

New hide as very impressive bud...............:D

Cheers Ade i must admit im tweaking my outdoor hides at the moment

Good captures Richard - that Drambuie works wonders :D

Thanks Tom but after a few glasses it makes editing hard work :D

Regards All

Richard

No not frozen at all, just back from the frozen wastes of Milton Keynes:D:D
That Richard is a right wimp though, taking shots from his bedroom window!!!!

No not frozen at all, just back from the frozen wastes of Milton Keynes:D:D
That Richard is a right wimp though, taking shots from his bedroom window!!!!

Glad to hear you are all right hope you had a good christmas :naughty:did santa leave you a real camera:D
Regards
Richard
P.s i have to look after my good looks :p

This is a rarer vistor who did'nt hang around long

rw46.jpg

Especially after Ceders almost landed on him the light was pretty poor so this was the best i managed

Regards All

Richard

Glad to hear you are all right hope you had a good christmas :naughty:did santa leave you a real camera:D

I doubt if he did Rich, he would not know how to use it :D

Lovely Goldie capture. You say you are shooting from the bedroom, the pov on the jay I can accept as it is on a rather large twig. However the perch for the Goldie has me baffled as it looks like you are at eye level with it :thinking: Unless you live in a Bungalow, which would explain a lot :cautious:

I doubt if he did Rich, he would not know how to use it :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Lovely Goldie capture. You say you are shooting from the bedroom, the pov on the jay I can accept as it is on a rather large twig. However the perch for the Goldie has me baffled as it looks like you are at eye level with it :thinking: Unless you live in a Bungalow, which would explain a lot :cautious:

Cheers mate no i don't live in a bungalow and yes i was on eye level with the Goldie im going to keep you in suspence :naughty::Dfor a while longer but all will be revealed. Im going to post different views of the set up and feeders as the thread unfolds it may help a few of the newer members.
Regards
Richard

Cheers mate no i don't live in a bungalow and yes i was on eye level with the Goldie im going to keep you in suspence :naughty::Dfor a while longer but all will be revealed. Im going to post different views of the set up and feeders as the thread unfolds it may help a few of the newer members.
Regards
Richard

Ah I see ;) Good idea Rich (y) It will be good to see how the professionals work :D

Regards
Richard

that would be great Richard!

Nice shots Rich, but i'm about to post an even more cuddlier Goldie shot than yours, taken um,,, last month. The contest is on for fluffy, vulnerable Goldie shots. It may be tomorrow, as i've got a big workload. (y)

Ah I see ;) Good idea Rich (y) It will be good to see how the professionals work :D

:thinking:Professional disaster thats me :D

that would be great Richard!

No Probs

Nice shots Rich, but i'm about to post an even more cuddlier Goldie shot than yours, taken um,,, last month. The contest is on for fluffy, vulnerable Goldie shots. It may be tomorrow, as i've got a big workload. (y)

Hi Frankie thanks i look forward to seeing yours

Excellent details and colours in these.

Thanks glad you liked them

Regards All

Richard

Regards
Richard

Sounds intriguing :thinking:

Well I don't mind being a Jay - snapper dresser and all that. :D

Nice captures Richard, all the better for doing it in comfort too. ;) The Brambling is a very rare garden visitor for me too, in fact two years running I had a single solitary bird about in the garden all day for a single day and then no further visits at all. We'll just have had a huge influx of Bramblings of course, and I think these odd birds are either temporarily a bit lost or just taking a rest from a pretty epic journey.

Sounds intriguing :thinking:

:D Keep them in suspense :D that's what i say:naughty:

Well I don't mind being a Jay - snapper dresser and all that. :D

Nice captures Richard, all the better for doing it in comfort too. ;) The Brambling is a very rare garden visitor for me too, in fact two years running I had a single solitary bird about in the garden all day for a single day and then no further visits at all. We'll just have had a huge influx of Bramblings of course, and I think these odd birds are either temporarily a bit lost or just taking a rest from a pretty epic journey.

Cheers Cedric
The up stairs hide started off as a bit of a joke but it's amazing what's been visiting and as you say it's nice and warm.
Im glad you did'nt mind having him named after you. he's getting to be quite a character and not as skittish as he was. The bugger knows when i have just put the nuts out for him though.
The Brambling just turned up with a load of Chaffies i did'nt spot him at first
i think he was on the feeders yesterday as well just a brief visit though.

Regards Both
Richard

Today i was going to start to show some of the set up but things did'nt go to plan i have been running round Nursing homes and Hospitals so no photography got done. But here's another of my Feathered friends these guys are quite regular visitors normally 5-6 show up at any one time

rw47.jpg

Regards All

Richard

Last edited:
Stunning shots Richard

Pete

Thanks very much Pete

Like that Rich, lovely colour and detail (y)
Hope everything is ok for you.

Hi Trev thanks mate :thinking: where do i start ? it's elderly parents issues we are trying to sort a nursing home out for the Mother in Law as she is in hospital at the moment. But we are getting there i think.

Regards Both

Richard

Time to update the upstairs hide thread
Please not the plywood panel is cut to the opening light size it is secured with a L shaped piece of timber screwed to the ply to form a U shape on the right so the window frame fits inside the U shape and 2 turn keys are used on the lefthand side to secure it in place. When you cut the lens aperture make sure it is bigger so you can see above the lens.

rw49.jpg

With the curtain drawn you now have a good hide normally i use a bean bag but a pillow will surfice and you can use a rug to fill some of the hole when lens is in place. You now have a snug warm hide

rw50.jpg

Tomorrow we will see how eye level images are covered from the upstairs window here's 2 more of my mate ceder's :thinking:please note the ground level angle :D

rw54.jpg

rw53.jpg

Regards All

Richard

Last edited:
Two good uns of the Jay Rich, the suspence is killing me ;)
The thing where we differ is I would have just cut a hole in the curtain :nuts:

Two good uns of the Jay Rich, the suspence is killing me ;)
The thing where we differ is I would have just cut a hole in the curtain :nuts:

Patience is a virtue Rich :thinking: besides curtains blow in the wind i tried that one :D

There is a lot more to come yet keep reading

Regards

Richard

Back