Boxing day sales

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it just me or are the sales this year absolutely rubbish?! Black Friday I thought was pretty pants too.

I was hoping their might be some deals on somewhere on sim free iphones, was looking at a 6s or 6s+. I picked up a deal on an iPad a couple of years back which was pretty awesome at the time but this year seems to be not very good.

I guess people will blame brexit etc or whatever. Who knows.

Has anyone picked up any bargains?

No, nothing I'm after or what I was thinking of isn't in the sale anywhere, so yes, for me, absolutely pants :(

Its not just this year, its being going that way for a while.

When the SO say's she can't be bothered with the sales, you know things have hit rock bottom, there doesn't seem to be anything to differentiate Christmas/Newyear sales from any other time of year, its the same old deception/perception business strategy the serve up all year round.

I normally stock up on bath bombs in the Lush sale. Last year I bought 60. This year the website kept crashing and I ended up only buying 35 as there were only 4 types left so I'm going to stink in 2017. It's the only sale I really do but I only do online as boxing day is chill in the house day.

I got dragged to Eldon Square in Newcastle this morning by the missus.
Between 9 and 10am it was OK. Just after 10 though, it was as if the gates of hell had been opened and a hoard of rabid bargain hunters had been unleashed. The place went from comfortably quiet to bedlam in a few short minutes.
I found myself a comfy seat and had a relaxing session on the internet, leaving the wife to her own devices. 2 hours later she returned, decided the 75 mile round trip had been a waste of time, and suggested we leave.
I didn't argue. Roll on next Christmas.

Got a few jumpers in Next on 27th December, all half price which was handy.
I tend to wear jumpers most of the years except the three summer months so its a worth while investment.

I found the best deals on Amazon were before Christmas, managed to make a large dent in my bank account kitting the house out with Philips Hue stuff.....

I find that I just cannot be bothered with sales. To be in a zoo with thousands of festive shoppers fills me with dread and just to save a few quid? Not for me.

From someone who's worked in and around retail his whole life, there's no such thing as a bargain. If you're lucky you get to buy something you need near the price you should have paid for it anyway if the retailer wasn't ripping you off.

No retailer sells an item at a loss so all I see when I look at a sale price is how much over the odds we're expected to pay the rest of the time.

E.G. I fancy getting a Kindle Paperwhite - Sale price £89.99 - Normal price £109.99...except...last week it was £104.99 and just four weeks ago it was £79.99, bargain? nah.

I was looking to get an Xbox 1s for the 4k video playback and the gaming side of it being a bonus but there wasn't much on offer. Ended up just getting a regular Blu-ray player which had an amazing £10 off. Felt like the only stuff on sale was items they were trying to get rid of.

Saved a good bit on M&S purchases. 60% off items I would have bought at full price anyway. :)

From someone who's worked in and around retail his whole life, there's no such thing as a bargain. If you're lucky you get to buy something you need near the price you should have paid for it anyway if the retailer wasn't ripping you off.

No retailer sells an item at a loss so all I see when I look at a sale price is how much over the odds we're expected to pay the rest of the time.

E.G. I fancy getting a Kindle Paperwhite - Sale price £89.99 - Normal price £109.99...except...last week it was £104.99 and just four weeks ago it was £79.99, bargain? nah.
What he said.

Retailers have acceptable margins they need to clear on an item, as long as they hit that.

Amazon are brilliant at sneeking prices up just before a sale.

Most places just use sale as an old stock clearance these days.

Most places just use sale as an old stock clearance these days.

Which is why stores started holding sales in the first place.

IMO, It's folks rather greedy expections which have them expecting new lines/tech for rock bottom prices now.

Does shelf /storage space also come into the equation? As in it's better to take a reduced profit margin on older items because the shelf space is needed for new stuff?

Does shelf /storage space also come into the equation? As in it's better to take a reduced profit margin on older items because the shelf space is needed for new stuff?

Yes, that's one of the main points of clearing stock.

I'll wait till all the little darlings are back at school ,and there mummies and daddies are back at work paying for my pension perks ,then I will have a leisurely trot round some clothes shops and find some bargains if there there , or if I spot some decent camera gear reductions even get the credit card out .

It bugs me no end when the supermarkets can just knock £10 or £15 off a bottle of whisky, since they're presumably not selling that at a loss. Amazon were going even lower before Christmas with free delivery, but couldn't say when it would actually arrive.

Haven't you heard of loss leader?

Yes Robert and that's a thing of the past (thanks to the internet). A shop might sell one or two items on day one at a loss knowing full well that the crowds coming in who miss out will go home with a more expensive item and the profit is secured, internet shopping means no big crowds so no need to entice them in.

I am sure I recall "sales" where the shops declared that certain items were bought in specifically for the sale period!

I ended up only buying 35

I never use a whole bath bomb. Usually give one a good bash with a hammer (put bath bomb in a bag first) and chuck a few chunks in the water. Easily last 4 to 6 baths per bomb and to be honest, I prefer them diluted as I find putting a whole one in a bath just too much strong scent and residue. Sometimes, you can have a bit too much of a good thing o_O

Last edited:
I am sure I recall "sales" where the shops declared that certain items were bought in specifically for the sale period!

Correct! Despite what others have been saying here. I run a multi million pound turnover furniture store, and one of our headline products for the Christmas sale is an item specifically sourced for it.

I couldn't care less if a product is brought in for a sale, genuinely discounted stock, or a 'special offer'. I have three criteria. Do I really want it? Can I afford it? Is it worth the asking price to me? If something ticks all the boxes, I will probably buy it.

I couldn't care less if a product is brought in for a sale, genuinely discounted stock, or a 'special offer'. I have three criteria. Do I really want it? Can I afford it? Is it worth the asking price to me? If something ticks all the boxes, I will probably buy it.

Yep this is exactly what I do myself.

My M&S bargains were indeed, bargains.
They were items I would normally buy there, and be satisfied to pay the full price for (the same price they have been for a long time), so it was a nice surprise to see them at a genuine 60% off last Thursday.

Back