Boxing Gym Promo shoot

got to be honest, #5 and #6 are the best ones for me,,

1,2,3 and 4, just dont seem right, #2 looks like a magician and 1&4 are too false. The man at the front of #1 looks good, but it is spoilt by those behind.

Pictures are technically great m8 but i was a boxer for many years in my younger days and none of those is telling me "Boxing Gym".
MMA workout maybe but boxing no.

Love No3!! Very scary!!

I think I was a bit lazy in my title. The gym has traditionally been a boxing / kick boxing gym, but realising that business could be improved with a more diverse customer base, are branching out into, MMA, sports karate, aerobics, zumba, dance excercise, that kind of thing. The group pictures look false, because basically they are, but trying to take structured pics of actual classes looked a bit rubbish, so we tried to create a set of similair looking shots with the different instructors and a mix of students.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments, even the magician type ones!

Last edited:
I like all of the environmental ones, I think they convey what you're trying to say about the gym/club/etc. quite well.
The studio ones, while technically fine, don't bring the message across half as well.

You've done a better job than I know how to do, was just spouting how they come across to me :)

I liked no 3 as it felt a bit more how I would expect a boxer in a gym to be. Maybe some post work to give it a bit more of an edgy feel. Sparring shots with second curtain sync to capture motion? Just ideas.

3, 5 & 6 are the shots for me. Not sure how they fit in to the overall plan, but they are very good shots.

Like those, having done a fair amount of "line work" in my time the first shots make a lot of sense to me!

No 6 is a belter.

1, 5 and especially 6 for me. Can I ask what was your lighting set up? What ever it was it has a great effect, especially catch lights in the eyes and some shadows as in 6. Great set.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Lighting setup was always a 580EXII in a brollybox as key. For #6 this was the only light. The single portrait shots it was 580EXII in a brollybox key light with a 430EX brolly for fill. The group shots were 580EXII in a brollybox to light the first person then two 430EX brolly's left and right to light the class.

The only thing that's annoying me, Marcus, is the light fall off in #2.

:notworthy:

What annoys you Dean?

I think he means the guy is casting a shadow on the background. You could easily get rid of that by moving him and the main light toward camera.
They look a little bland if I'm honest. I'd try a high pass and curves layer on them. It all depends on what the client wants.. If they are mainly into "fighters" then they may like the "I,m gonna mess you up" shot. But if aiming for women clients they may prefer a "mens health" type look and demonstraing the bodies a bit more. I also think if you want to add "power" to them you need to get lower and shoot up...

Last edited:
I think he means the guy is casting a shadow on the background. You could easily get rid of that by moving him and the main light toward camera.
They look a little bland if I'm honest. I'd try a high pass and curves layer on them. It all depends on what the client wants.. If they are mainly into "fighters" then they may like the "I,m gonna mess you up" shot. But if aiming for women clients they may prefer a "mens health" type look and demonstraing the bodies a bit more. I also think if you want to add "power" to them you need to get lower and shoot up...

Have to be honest the 'bland' comment has taken me aback a little. These have had minimal sharpening applied and a curves layer to slightly increase the contrast, however I do not see the need to go nuts to make these over PP'd, unless there is a direct request from the client to apply a certain look to the image. The general aim of the shoot was to try and create a set of tidy professional images for website, flyers, facebook, posters etc in order to promote the gym to be more in line with a mainstream fitness centre, rather than a spit and sawdust type boxing gym. Thanks for your comments anyway where I appreciate the time taken to offer C&C.

Last edited:
I think these all look great Marcus - #2 whilst being odd is obviously a representation of the guys character. I would assume if I saw this in a promo or on the club's bio that he is a trainer and our classes would be fun, so I think there is always plenty of room for imagees like that.

The only thing I was hoping to see would have been some shots conveying motion, as these look (at least I assume) like these were all taken with the subjects in posed motion shots, rather than actually performing any of the motions.

Then again, it could just be that I like that sort of picture! :)

I think these all look great Marcus - #2 whilst being odd is obviously a representation of the guys character. I would assume if I saw this in a promo or on the club's bio that he is a trainer and our classes would be fun, so I think there is always plenty of room for imagees like that.

The only thing I was hoping to see would have been some shots conveying motion, as these look (at least I assume) like these were all taken with the subjects in posed motion shots, rather than actually performing any of the motions.

Then again, it could just be that I like that sort of picture! :)

We had about a dozen people to take website profile shots of, so it was stand, look, turn, pose, etc, then before moving on each person was asked to 'freestyle' a pose and this was his Bruce Lee moment. Some people werent sure of what to do, whilst some seemed very natural where Phil in #2 was very natural, or at least I thought so.

I may be returning for further shots, so maybe I'll capture some motion shots.

Pictures are technically great m8 but i was a boxer for many years in my younger days and none of those is telling me "Boxing Gym".
MMA workout maybe but boxing no.

I just spat tea on my keyboard reading that,lol.

What MMA class have you ever seen like that??? Mine certainly isn't! If you're serious, the coach needs a slap...it looks like an aerobics class

They are good clean commercial images, will they sell to die hard boxers that want a balls to the wall gym? No...but will they sell to every day people? I think so yes, and that market is significantly larger, thus as far as I can see, the images fulfil that brief.

My only slight critique would be the lighting, it's consistent, it's soft, and it appears that you've maybe been limited to just the one light? This is obviously subjective so don't read into it too much. Men, especially chisled boxers, show very very well in hard light in my opinion. Maybe a few cross lit or side lit images would have been nice, something more low key, maybe some action shots, sweat flying, back lit etc.

Anyway...nice images well done :)

Love the last pic (6). Would have liked to have seen more candid shots also.
But nice work

I just spat tea on my keyboard reading that,lol.

What MMA class have you ever seen like that??? Mine certainly isn't! If you're serious, the coach needs a slap...it looks like an aerobics class

Hmm, well you see there is a couple of Muay Thai poses going on, a few boxing ones, a little Tai Chi here and there and indeed a little Aeorbics which i believe when it was in its infancy was a hyper active Tai Chi that everyone did their own expansions on.

There are many martial arts my friend, not all are high speed, aggressive etc.

I would suggest you should maybe open your mind a little and your eyes. ;)

Hey Marcus,

I like #1 - apart from the people behind! I think it was mentioned above too, but they just seem too false. The guy in front though seems to work really well.

I like the idea of introducing movement into the images too - I think that could work quite well, even if the subjects are a little nervous, or self-conscious.

Good job though, they are a good set!

Hmm, well you see there is a couple of Muay Thai poses going on, a few boxing ones, a little Tai Chi here and there and indeed a little Aeorbics which i believe when it was in its infancy was a hyper active Tai Chi that everyone did their own expansions on.

There are many martial arts my friend, not all are high speed, aggressive etc.

I would suggest you should maybe open your mind a little and your eyes. ;)

I'm not gonna bite sorry, I can't seriously debate with someone who considers a Tai Chi/Aerobics/Portraiture set of images to be "MMA"

Just to clarify, #1 Martin is a boxing instructor, whilst in #4 Gregg is a martial artist and kick boxer, but takes great pride in his sports karate and kung fu, where in this particular shot I think it is a kung fu stance.

MMA, kick boxing, tai-chi, karate, boxing, unarmed combat, self defence, aikido; ultimately there is the nasty spit, sweat, blood and sawdust side, but a lot of gyms, including this one are trying to promote the family approach. Yes, they have a stable of very able fighters in multi-disciplines, but also want to train anyone who is willing to want to learn, hence we end up with a very 'clean' set of shots for the website, to promote the gym to all.

Thanks everyone for the comments, all taken as learning points. I'm hoping to take more pictures for the gym at some point and will take all your points with me.

Back