Brambling.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
A very rare visitor for me. I've only seen one once before in the garden and it was female - I'm pretty sure this one is a male. Very striking bird!

2988392533_b25321a80d_o.jpg

Female Chaffy

2988392649_71de480713_o.jpg

Robbie catching some rays.

2988392779_c0bd1c4152_o.jpg

All 500mm and 1600 ISO

Yep, love the brambling Cedric. Very striking colours.

Saw a couple yesterday in a copse at the back of my garden.beautiful :clap::clap:

Nice shots. We have had Brambling occasionally in our garden when we lived in Essex and still get them here in Cumbria. One of winter's pleasures.
Can you divulge how far away from the birds you are, to be able to get shots like this. I would love to have a go but my pension will not stretch to a 500mm!

Donna these are taken at about 20-25 feet with the 500mm through the open kitchen window. About 15 feet is minimum focusing distance with the 500mm so it's pretty close.

It ain't all about glass though (although it obviously helps a lot) I've been using the 500mm without the 1.4 converter a lot more since I got the 40D for about the same reach, and I'm expecting to gain significantly more reach when I shell out for a 50D body very shortly. Sensor size and pixel count is playing a bigger role in this now with the choices open to us of late.

Last edited:
Donna these are taken at about 20-25 feet with the 500mm through the open kitchen window. About 15 feet is minimum focusing distance with the 500mm so it's pretty close.

It ain't all about glass though (although it obviously helps a lot) I've been using the 500mm without the 1.4 converter a lot more since I got the 40D for about the same reach, and I'm expecting to gain significantly more reach when I shell out for a 50D body very shortly. Sensor size and pixel count is playing a bigger role in this now with the choices open to us of late.

Thanks for that Cedric. Hoping to get a 70-300 for my D300 this Christmas, that is about all I can stretch to right now.

Well if you can get close enough you don't need the long glass anyway. :shrug: I have pulled off bird shots with the 180 macro, but they get a bit skittish when you're working that close.

300mm and the converter options should get you in the ball park. :)

Well if you can get close enough you don't need the long glass anyway. :shrug: I have pulled off bird shots with the 180 macro, but they get a bit skittish when you're working that close.

300mm and the converter options should get you in the ball park. :)

Thanks, I will give it a go. We get lots of Tree Sparrows and Yellowhammers in the garden during winter and I would like to do them justice.

Thanks, I will give it a go. We get lots of Tree Sparrows and Yellowhammers in the garden during winter and I would like to do them justice.

Now I'm just plain jealous. :)

If you can stand the cold ,just get out there. Set the tripod doiwn low as it worries the birds a lot less and gives you a chance to get seated comfortably. Just keep as still as you can and keep your profile down behind the camera, you'll be surprised how close they'll come. Keep your head covered and wear gloves - exposed skin seems to catch their attention quicker than anything, especially sudden movements.

Brambling in your back garden............:eek: Best I can claim is a siskin though there was a Lesser spotted woody while I was out working :bang:.

Nice shots

#1 is stunning mate nice and sharp but imho #2 and 3 don't look as sharp as your usual high standards :thinking: but that might just be me (y)

I think they're sharp enough. It's perhaps that I ran NR on the bg in No1, not the other two, and they are quite noisy at 1600 ISO?

I'd probably take that deal Jason. :D

them's ok mate.. (y)

nice to see you enjoying the birdies again.

can i borrow your robin for a shot i have to get this weekend :naughty:

md(y)

LOL. I'll ask him - he's been a bit arsey of late. :shrug:

Cedric, do you ever take a bad shot :LOL: I know exactly what I'm going to get every time you post.

Another cracking photograph (y)

Thanks but I take loads - I just don't post 'em. :D

blurry.jpg

I think they're sharp enough. It's perhaps that I ran NR on the bg in No1, not the other two, and they are quite noisy at 1600 ISO?
:D that will be what it is ( hope i did'nt offend you mate i would still be over the moon with them )

LOL I'm not offended at all mate - and they are noisier than I'd like. :wave:

That is just the greatest wren picture ever, looks like he`s listening to Metallica or something similar.

That another great set, love the wren too :LOL:

I have taken hundreds like that, My fingers aching keep hitting the delete key.

cas

Back