Branching out

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
finally got a macro lens sorted, Sigma 70-300mm jobbie
hopefully trying to expand my skills by managing to find and take some decent macro images

only annoying thing i'm currently having trouble with is balancing the camera to avoid shake, really not easy at 300mm lol

comments are as always appreciated, FYI these are the only 4 macro's i've ever shot ever, so be nice :)

Dirt Patch by Seraph82, on Flickr

White Feather by Seraph82, on Flickr

Ever marching on by Seraph82, on Flickr

away for the day by Seraph82, on Flickr

It is tricky having to learn a new lens and I think macro really is very tricky indeed to get right.

Some things to think about in the future - Get an interesting subject.
Think about lighting, as the more light, the quicker the shutter speed and the less chance of ruining the shot due to hand holding.
Coupled with the above, you will also need to use a larder f stop as this will increase your depth of field - but then let in less light (see the issue above)

So all in all, I think that without flash macro really is a balancing act between trying to get the maximum dof you can, while trying to maintain a useable shutter speed.

Hope that helps.

I agree re above some very useful info from Sara, I mainly use a tripod even with my 105mm! I could never handhold a 300mm and get a usable shot unless the light was fantastic!
A lightweight tripod may be the way to go a lot of people will say handhold only, for greater flexiblity but for those with shaky hands like me a tripod works great, can be a bit fiddly but if you get the shot and it works for you go for it.

thanks for the comments guys,

slightly off topic, but on the topic of lighting, which would you recommend more, a dedicated Macro ring flash? or a somewhat cheaper Macro ring light?

Have you looked at the 'show us yer macro rig' thread? There's loads of ideas in there.

From my experience, I started off with a normal flash gun, used a lens hood, velcro and a flash cable and basically velcroed the flash to the hood so that it was at the end of the lens. If I'm honest I think that worked very well, but it was ungainly and awkward to set up, especially as you had to get the bits connected in sequence otherwise the camera didn't regognise the flash unit!

So then I went onto a dedicated macro flash, the cheaper ring flash that sits on the front of the lens. Personally I don't like it as much effect wise as the original method, but it's just so much easier.

Hope that helps.

Back