Brands Hatch recommendations

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Would like the opinion of some experienced Togs at Brands hatch - shooting from behind the fences on the outside of druids.
In particular I am asking what length of lens works well at shooting the cars coming towards you and also at the point they turn into the corner.

Would a 70-200 f/2.8 give me enough length to fill the frame or is it recommended to be using a 300mm+?

- I know I can do some work in PP, but if we can get better photos from the camera, it is great in all our worlds!

Last edited:
Back in the 90's I used a Canon 200mm f4 inside druids so 70-200 should be ok.

Although I was in front of the fences behind the Armco.

Someone who's done it more rectently will probably be along shortly to confirm or offer better advice.

the issue is that they keep making the gravel trap bigger and pushing the spectators further from the track. safety blah blah...

I am using a DX Nikon too for the perspective.

Brilliant thanks for the response. I was guessing 200mm would be too short but was hoping 300mm would be ok. With the crop factor it would give me 420mm which puts me closer to the mark.
Maybe look at getting something with more length as i dont have a long lens at the moment. 80-400 or 200-500 are options.
(A little bit pointless getting the 80-400 if i already own a 70-200 really)

evaluating my options it appears on the Nikon side I have the following.

80-400
300mm F4 PF (I cant afford a 2.8)
200-500
or the sigma 150-600S

If you can get some practice in, then they will generally let you in for free during the week, so I can sometimes get half an hour in at lunchtime. If you cross into the centre, over the footbridge, then you can shoot the inside of Druids and the swoop down the hill after the exit - plenty of panning practice using 1/200 or lower if you are brave.

That's good to know. I have been to Brands Hatch countless times, and usually go to about 6 events per year, but have only been taking a camera for the last year or so.
I usually prefer to be out on the GP Loop as its no as spoilt, but am looking to get some different photos to my normal selection. Druids isn't something I have shot before as I always thought I haven't got the lens to do it properly. (Have done the inside though!)

Here's a really old one shot from inside (of the exit). Olympus OM-2N with Zuiko 200mm f4

27846-32-1

I think all those pin-sharp close up shots get a bit boring after a while, so consider trying a short focal lens and low shutter speed for some variety.

Last edited:
Nice shot. Is there is still no news on what will be closed off, it is such a shame and will put me off going if you cannot get decent access the the GP circuit.

Cheers Martin still no news will have a wander out the back next visit they did say in the original article they would let the public know the new access routes but I think they are going to leave that one as it may affect advanced ticket sales for GP events going to be a lot of disappointed spectators turning up to find they cannot wander the full GP and get close to the action as they have done before.

All my tickets are ordered. What a shame to kill off part of the enjoyment of the GP Loop. Motorsport is so sanitised now it is becoming boring.
I understand safety and everything but accidents do happen, motorsport is dangerous! Huge gravel traps for Grade 1 and 2 listed circuits, massive tarmac run offs (think Paul Ricard and Austin, Tx).
Looks like I am going to have to return to European circuits for my old school motorsport vibe. Zandvoort and Zolder for example.

That's a great shot. 300mm F4 looks pretty decent. Is that a Nikon Variant?

All my tickets are ordered. What a shame to kill off part of the enjoyment of the GP Loop. Motorsport is so sanitised now it is becoming boring.
I understand safety and everything but accidents do happen, motorsport is dangerous! Huge gravel traps for Grade 1 and 2 listed circuits, massive tarmac run offs (think Paul Ricard and Austin, Tx).
Looks like I am going to have to return to European circuits for my old school motorsport vibe. Zandvoort and Zolder for example.

That's a great shot. 300mm F4 looks pretty decent. Is that a Nikon Variant?

Thanks Nick its a Canon 300mm F4L IS on a 7D body.

Talking of old school motorsport you most likely know this but Canada Heights MX circuit is just down the road from Brands Hatch not the superb tog heaven it was since they changed the layout and running direction but still very old school no big fences and very close to the action and if you want to get seriously close go along to an Endurance event just a bit of tape between you and the bikes.

So I have purchased a 1.4 TC for my 70-200 which gives me 98-280mm f/4
Because I shoot on Nikon crop that will be equivalent to 147-420mm which should be good enough.

I would rather spend £100 on a mint TC and see how I get on. Then I can evaluate if I need something longer. Hopefully I will be able to get something similar to GAZA62, albeit the Canon has a slightly bigger crop factor.
I previously used the 55-300 Nikon kit lens but it was a bit basic and took ages to focus.

Almost as manual as those cars are to drive!
Absolutely love the Brands Hatch classic each year and whilst I love the DFV engine F1 cars, I would like some more variety. Would be great if we could see more of the Turbo F1 cars. I remember seeing them a few years ago at Goodwood Members meeting and they were awesome.

Back