Brands Hatch

Name
Perry
Edit My Images
Yes
Off to see the WTCC on Sunday and after a little advice as best points to take pics and any kind of advice on technique, below is an example of what I can do at the moment. Using the sport mode on a D50..

090.jpg

114.jpg

They have not been played with in any way and are shot in fine not in RAW.

Thanks

what lenses you got to play with?

I shall be there for the weekend

Lenses I only really have a Tamron 70-300mm and the standard Nikon lens

So slower shutter speed on auto mode??

Thanks again.

Use shutter priority mode (S mode) and set the shutter to 1/320th and try some panning. As you practice this can be dropped down to 1/250th or 1/200th.

Thanks had a read through the manual again last night and got what you meant.

Use shutter priority mode (S mode) and set the shutter to 1/320th and try some panning. As you practice this can be dropped down to 1/250th or 1/200th.

Just had a look at the camera and put it on S mode, and set it to 1/320 (so just so I know and get the grasp of it) I have left ISO on auto is this correct??

Thanks again.

With that setup for pans you'll get into the inside of Druids for panning, nad you'd fine to get them on the entry to Druids. There classic area's and will be very busy come raceday.

Dont forget to get around the back of the gp track theres some amzing corners.

For settings id follwo Joes advise, the slower the more motion blurr for a given car speed.

Cool thanks again :) Look forward to trying the advice above :)

Plus don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with a fellow 'tog. They may be able to give advice in person.

Never like to bother the "big" boys with their huge lenses that make mine look tiny just incase they miss "THE" shot if you get what I mean. :)

Will try and pluck up the confidence and give it a go.

Thanks again everyone, must admit it's good to use a freindly welcoming forum.

I shall be there with my very small Dimage Z3 but to be honest I like taking pics around the inside of Druids or from under the bridge so I don't need a big lens.
PICT0182.JPG

PICT0157.jpg

I am after Huffy pics this weekend :)

Be good to see Rob Huff again, he looked pretty good when he was in the BTCC.

So it looks like Druids it is if I get there in time. :)

Do you think I shoudl use the 18-55 standard lens or the 70-300 zoom? I know it depends how close I can get, but I am looking forward to trying the panning thing using shutter priority.

I shall be there all three days so if any-one wants to meet up drop me a line.

As for the lens question depends on what part of druids you go, as to what lens you'll have to useas curtain parts the 70mm will be too long.

Be good to see Rob Huff again, he looked pretty good when he was in the BTCC.

So it looks like Druids it is if I get there in time. :)

Do you think I shoudl use the 18-55 standard lens or the 70-300 zoom? I know it depends how close I can get, but I am looking forward to trying the panning thing using shutter priority.

If you're panning around the apex of the corner the 18-55 will be fine, you'll find the 70-300 too long for this, especially just starting out. It's better to back off the zoom a bit to give yourself some room for errors. With a D50 you'll be able to crop the pictures anyway. As you get more practiced at it you can zoom in a bit more.

It's a good feeling when you get your first full frame, perfectly composed panning shot though :) (at least that's what I've been told :))

as for disturbing the people with the big lenses , its unlikely that you will be near enough to them ( they will be on the other side of the fence to you )

as for disturbing the people with the big lenses , its unlikely that you will be near enough to them ( they will be on the other side of the fence to you )

LMAO you never been to motorsport event then?

There are some folk on the spectors side of the fence that have much better equipments the some of the so called media, and there are spectors that take better photos then somw of the crap from some so called media togs.

Dont get me wrong there are some very good media togs, but there are some i just have no idea how they get there passes.

Saw some mega size lenses today and these were on the genereal public!!

What made me wonder was though I was struggling at some points with the 70-300mm to fit the car in and yet these mega size lenses were coping ok, how come????

Saw some mega size lenses today and these were on the genereal public!!

What made me wonder was though I was struggling at some points with the 70-300mm to fit the car in and yet these mega size lenses were coping ok, how come????

Because the size dosnt = the focal length. A Canon 300mm f2.8 is bigger then the 400mm f5.6.

Huge lenses just represent huge paypackets, but the IQ of them is a1.

do you mean you were struggling to fill the frame with the car or that you were struggling with being too close and cutting bits of the car out.

if its the former than it just comes with practice, follow the car around the corner and zoom in until it fills the frame, you'll soon find where you should be zooming to as you follow the car around and then it becomes second nature, as with panning keep following the car around the bend taking the shot as you reach the desired point and then continue panning the car, this helps to keep as smooth a pan as possible

Because the size dosnt = the focal length. A Canon 300mm f2.8 is bigger then the 400mm f5.6.

Huge lenses just represent huge paypackets, but the IQ of them is a1.

Right got you :) Thanks for that.

do you mean you were struggling to fill the frame with the car or that you were struggling with being too close and cutting bits of the car out.

if its the former than it just comes with practice, follow the car around the corner and zoom in until it fills the frame, you'll soon find where you should be zooming to as you follow the car around and then it becomes second nature, as with panning keep following the car around the bend taking the shot as you reach the desired point and then continue panning the car, this helps to keep as smooth a pan as possible

Struggling as the car filled the frame to much, and not enough on the standard lens :(

Thanks again for the advice.

ah right, cant say ive ever had that problem at a racing ciruit, always too far away! but ive experienced similar at rallys, where you can get very very close to the cars, i guess you'd need a different lens to iliminate it if you cant move further away or closer.

as russdaz says big lenses dont always have big focal lengths!

Back