Breakfast in Bed

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date

Thank you Jerry :)

Looks like a hairy balloon, Les - as you say, definitely stocking up for winter! Lovely shot :)

Russ

Cheers Mate - I heard him munching those Reeds- long before I saw him :)

What an excellently caught shot (y)
Thank you Alan- fieldcraft and a long Lens helps :)

a cracking shot
never seen one

I do'nt often see them, sometimes I drop on lucky :)

Well spotted and captured, Les
The Water Voles are black up here

Black?? I never knew that Mike - are they common?

Les :)

Les - Our black Water Voles
Thanks. Finally got to watch that — it doesn’t play on the iPad. Not too surprising that the abundance of rabbits maintains a large mink population to the detriment of water voles. I’ve seen another possible effect of rabbits on water voles on rivers near York where the land is ‘alive’ with rabbits running back to burrows on the bank (as you walk along the river) and you can see that the bank serially collapses :(. The habitat in the Balmoral video is an illustration that mink are everywhere. I haven’t seen much about their effect on non aquatic birds but they are great climbers so they must take nestlings or sleeping adults. I’ve been told they take piglets from outdoor pigs :(.

Les - Our black Water Voles

Very interesting Mike- the only black stuff I've seen on the Levels is this chap

Wild Mink

o4iMTa0.jpg

Very interesting Mike- the only black stuff I've seen on the Levels is this chap

Wild Mink

o4iMTa0.jpg

We had quite a few around here at one time but haven't seen one for years.
Menaces but beautiful at the same time.
Someone locally said that the Otters have driven them out but I'm not sure if there's any truth in that.
Trapping and culling, I would have thought, would be the reason.
All because some "do-gooders" thought they were doing the right thing by breaking in to a Mink farm on the outskirts of the city and releasing them into the wild.

Someone locally said that the Otters have driven them out
I think that may be true on rivers but I don’t think there’s any definitive study of it. There’s a lot of places on rivers where they are trapped and exterminated but they usually recolonise the following year so if Otters are present it should be possible to say whether or not the Mink have come back in those situations.
but I'm not sure if there's any truth in that.
All because some "do-gooders" thought they were doing the right thing by breaking in to a Mink farm on the outskirts of the city and releasing them into the wild.
Indeed!

Someone locally said that the Otters have driven them out but I'm not sure if there's any truth in that.

I still see the occasional Otter on the Levels and they being suck large creatures, I doubt a Mink would drive them out :)

I also got this on a Private fishing Lake, where I have permission to photograph - It no longer resides there- enough said

WMyzoAg.jpg

Les

Back