Critique Brecon Beacons, Wales

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,
Strolling around Brecon hills, enjoying time in solitude.

Very ordinary landscape photo with a tad bit of evening sun, does it work like this?

Brecon Beacons, Wales
by Rudlin, on Flickr

Patch of land bathing in sunlight caught my eye, saturated colours.

Brecon Beacons, Wales
by Rudlin, on Flickr

Crop of sunrays captured in the distance

Brecon Beacons, Wales
by Rudlin, on Flickr

Can this picture be considered as a Landscape photo?

Brecon Beacons, Wales
by Rudlin, on Flickr

and one B&W

Brecon Beacons, Wales
by Rudlin, on Flickr

With an injection of contrast these could be quite nice. all they need is a bit of PP and they could be improved a lot.

I think 2&3 could be improved a lot and the B&W needs some highlights its too grey.

Hmmm. I'm wary about any contrast being added, any more on 1 and you'll turn the ground black. Its got a nice sky and exposure, but its a bleak image with little, other than the road, to hold it together. I'd make more use of that road it would be worth going further left, climbing high above it, letting it act for a lead in to that lovely sky.

Two's got interesting light, but again, its a bleak but the shadows and light break it up - without those, it would be a very boring image. Any more contrast, those shadows will go completely black and the sky will start to blow out.

A lot will like three, but IMHO its just dark and unattractive with none of the natural variances of shadow and light that make two appealing. Yeah its got some rays of light, but no front to really to hold it together, a fault entirely of the bleak locus.

Four compositionally is the stongest and a good lead in. I imagine on a snowy day with less cloud cover, this could be a really great spot. Its also got the most natural features from steep hills, the fence and the drop, which all make it a more convicing image than the others. Its features like fences, stones, walls, that need taken advantage of to make a location as bleak as this work. And this really does work. I am taken with it as is.

I dont care for the last at all.

I have to agree with ST4, I think he has given you great feedback. I think No3 is the pick of the bumch.

Reactions: ST4
i choose 2 for impact and relatively little to critique
cheers
geoff

Hmmm. I'm wary about any contrast being added, any more on 1 and you'll turn the ground black. Its got a nice sky and exposure, but its a bleak image with little, other than the road, to hold it together. I'd make more use of that road it would be worth going further left, climbing high above it, letting it act for a lead in to that lovely sky.

Two's got interesting light, but again, its a bleak but the shadows and light break it up - without those, it would be a very boring image. Any more contrast, those shadows will go completely black and the sky will start to blow out.

A lot will like three, but IMHO its just dark and unattractive with none of the natural variances of shadow and light that make two appealing. Yeah its got some rays of light, but no front to really to hold it together, a fault entirely of the bleak locus.

Four compositionally is the stongest and a good lead in. I imagine on a snowy day with less cloud cover, this could be a really great spot. Its also got the most natural features from steep hills, the fence and the drop, which all make it a more convicing image than the others. Its features like fences, stones, walls, that need taken advantage of to make a location as bleak as this work. And this really does work. I am taken with it as is.

I dont care for the last at all.

Thank you for your informative reply, ironically #4 has been taken completely spontaneously when the cloud hit the top of the hill, yet all others got me worked up about building a proper composition.

Back