Brecon Walk

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys and gals

I am pretty embarassed to post this to be honest, I am veyr new to photography and only just starting ot think about composition and things properly. Following a lovely walk in the Brecon's I looked over the photos and like this one.

Developed1of1-5.jpg

Can I please have some advice on where I can improve, mostly composition wise but also anything else that needs it. Looking at the pic on this comp it seems over saturated but it looked okay on the desktop, must calibrate the monitors me thinks.

Photo was taken hand held at about 40mm on my Canon 40d using the kit lens.

Many thanks in advance for the advice

Dan

Hi Dan,
My thoughts are:
It has the idea of a lead-in line with the wall but the wall needs to lead the eye somewhere and the space on the left could do with some foreground interest.
Not sure what happened to the colours but these can often be adjusted in post p especially if you shoot in RAW.
Hope these help - who says I know what I am talking about anyway?!

Cheers

J

Firstly, i'm on a non calibrated tablet so i'll stick to the composition.

a classic composition will have lead in lines in a zoro 'Z' taking the eye through the frame. Also, this Z will start from left in the foreground and moving diagonally to the right, left and right. Mainly due to us naturally 'reading' from left to right. These of course are just guides though!

So you start well with the wall but that wall then pulls you off out of the same side of the frame. This leaves the empty left space of the frame - not a great thing unless you are specifically crafting this for a reason. Finally, its often good to have the eye finally rest on a destination.

my thumb is now tired, but i hope this is taken in the manner intended!

I'm not the greatest with composition as i do more motorsports but would suggest and some will yell and others agree but try a little hdr on the shot don't go overboard with it just have a little play also the colors seem a little to red though could be just my set up next time have a play with the auto white balance settings this what i mean if you don't mind me doing a little editing :)
developed1of11fhdr.jpg

Cheers for all the advice, it is probably quite soft as the weather was horrid and I was shooting handheld in the strong wind, and I am very much a novice.

Will give some of the suggestions a go :)

I like the HDR shot, presumed you needed to have 2 pics with different exposures to do the HDR on the photos, didn't realise you could do it with just one.

Dan

Hi guys and gals
I am pretty embarassed to post this to be honest, I am very new to photography and only just starting to think about composition and things properly. Following a lovely walk in the Brecon's I looked over the photos and like this one. Dan

Don't been embarassed everyone starts off somewhere my only advice is to keep shooting and keep practicing. You can read an awful lot out there regarding photography rules regarding compostion etc.. but to go out and shoot and learn from it is more useful

Dan,
Single shot HDR is possible if you have the RAW file and can then save two further copies of the original with different exposures ( I use +2 and -2) you can then HDR them as normal in PS or Photomatix or whatever.

Cheers

J

Back