Breech lock lens ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
OK maybe a numpty question ?

What is a breeck lock lens and how is it different to a normal mount lens ?

Thanks

Breech lock, as in the old Canon FD mount. The lens still has a bayonet, but instead of inserting into the camera bayonet and twisting the lens to lock; the lens is inserted into the breech of the body and a ring on the body is twisted to lock the lens in place. hope that makes sense...

OK thanks got it , Twist a ring not the lens

Super :D

I have both ordinary fd and breech.

They all line up with the mount or adapter dots the same. I use mine on my digital cameras via an adapter and when doing so the lens red dot goes to white adapter dot and then to the red and then with the ordinary non breech mount you twist back towards white until it clicks into place.

With the breech you line up the red lens dot with white dot on the adapter and then the red and the collar springs towards the white and you then twist it further to securely lock the lens in place.

I have read that some people think that the breech lock is a faff on and that they're frightened of dropping the lens but honestly I see no difference in the faff on factor between the two types. With the non breech lenses you have to twist the lens and witn the breech lenses you twist the collar, for me it's six of one and half a dozen of the othrer. I never think I'm going to drop a breech lens as as soon as you move the lens from white to red on the adapter the collar springs partly round holding the lens iin place and it can not fall.

To me the biggest difference is that the breech lenses seem to have more metal rather than plastic and maybe feel better made.

Last edited:
Breech lock were superior in a lot of people's opinion, mine included, but probably more expensive to make. As described by Alan they partly mounted themselves and any play that ocured because of lens mount to camera wear was taken up by the ring itself as the lens and body stayed stationary to each other and only the ring rotated, clamping the two toegther. I think it may have been slightly slower to mount/dismount the lens and maybe the pros preferred a more "normal" twisting lens on/off action.
I would also agree the lens itself felt it had a better build quality than the later twist on types.

Matt

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=AhOsMvj9oVH2jM:

Last edited:
The spring-loading of the breech ring was actually a late addition. The FL lenses my father had and the FDs I started accumulating from the mid '70s didn't have it. And, as someone who had both types of FD lens, I much preferred the breech-lock versions.

Last edited:
Back